Questions about MACs (for a newbie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolagirl34

Beta member
Hi forum!

I'm thinking about purchasing a MAC laptop to do my graphic design work. Right now I'm working on a PC and want to move over into a more compatable computer system.

I'm wondering what the BEST choices would be for me....here are the specs I'm looking for:
1) Power
2) Ability to run Adobe Creative Suite without too much lag time
3) Not too expensive but I'm willing to pay for something that will last a long time and perform well in design programs.

What are the differences between a PowerMac laptop and and IMac or even an IBook?

I'm going to keep my PC and design software, but my goal is to transistion to a MAC and have the PC as a backup.

Any suggestions?

thanks in advance!

;)

If you eventually choose mac,then you can still run windows progs using virtual PC ,my daughter has it on her mac ,and seems ok,but requires fair amount of memory ,I guess 'cos i'ts running 2 operating systems at once ?
cheers david

I own a 1.2ghz 14in iBook G4 w 1.25gb RAM and I can use Photoshop 7, ImageReady, and Illustrator and InDesign all at once with no lag whatsoever. As of right now, the iBook got a minor speed bump so I can imagine it working even better. And it all cost about $2,300.00 And I had the 60gb HD and AirPort Extreme installed. Your main costs will come from buying the software, but you can usually find OEM software to buy, or if you know (or are) a student at a college/university , you can get Mac compatible software for a great price.

But if you want even more power, you should think about the PowerBook G4. http://www.apple.com/powerbook/specs.html

Hope this helps! :)

umk...here are general specs, and as long as you're not spending ultra money on any system, these should work.

Least powerful
iBook
Mac Mini
eMac
Power book
iMacs
Power Macs
Most powerful

That list should be used as a general rule of thumb only; there are exceptions.

Macs have superior arctecture; that's why they run those programs so well when any comparable clock speed PC would be put to shame. It'd make sure that the clock speed is above 2.0 gighertz and above; hopefully with a good graphics card. What's your price range and do you want it portable. Remeber, don't expect a speedy computer w/ only a $1000 investment. If I were running Adobe products personally, i'd make the single 1.8 gighertz system the minmum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom