Quad G5!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yay, finally dual core macs.

Twice the transistors, twice the power output. Geez, Apple will have some trouble cooling that bugger.

It seems like a nice machine but i wouldnt want it (no CS-S). Id rather have a X2.

dont be so shocked, i said id rather have an X2 (X2 is AMD's Dual Core CPU's)

Actually a Dual X2 would be a better comparison.

Well, it's the software. What good is it to have a $3000 comp that doesn't play the games you want to play? But it would make sense if you did more CS2, Final Cut, Apature, etc. than CS-S, HL2, and such.

i do a lot of stuff with flaskmpeg (converting video to/from divx) and i dab into CS2. But id still find a X2 would be suited to me.

Well, I wasn't really talking about dabbling about CS2. I kinda meant...like you were a professional photographer/movie editor, and you did it for a living (where most of apple's top-of-the-line comps go to). Not very many people do. I'll bet that the X2 would be cheaper than the $3000 base price for the quad G5.

I think all media programs are supposed to be better on Apples than on PCs. I used to know why, but I'll just give you like a shortened version because I can't remeber. Basically, in a word, Apple's powerpc arteciture is about 2x as good as Intel's x86 processor, much like the way AMD's aritecture is better than Intel's x86 design by about a factor of 1.5. It has to do with the aritecture. Apple's been around the film/computer medai for awhile, which is why it holds a strong marekt there. Apples are some of the top comps around not only cauze of hardware, but because of software. A lot of the professional level programs are sold mac only. I think final cut pro is mac exclusive, as well as shake/motion w/e they call it. Aperature is the most recent program in their professional application suite.

Stolen off of Apple's website:

Pro Applications

* Final Cut Studio. Tools for real-time video and audio production.
o Final Cut Pro 5. Native HDV. Now editing in real time.
o Soundtrack Pro. Sound is half the picture.
o Motion 2. Advanced animation. Instant gratification.
o DVD Studio Pro 4. Encode. Author. Burn. Deliver.
* Aperture. Designed for professional photographers.
* Logic Pro. Comprehensive music toolkit.
* Shake. Advanced digital compositing. Already in a theater near you.

All of these programs cost $3000-$5000 a pop, so they're def. professional grade. I think that Napolean Dynamite was edited for $50,000 (LOTR cost a lot more, mainly cauze of the orcs and junk) on 2 powermacs and final cut pro. Shake is the Apple equivalent of Adobe's After Effects.

It's not necessairly photoshop, it's all high level programs. You might not notice it in photoshop, but I think (my opinion only, of course) that if you were dealing with 50 layers in photoshop, you'd notice the difference. Also if you were dealing with a full feature film, I think you'd notice the difference as well.

Not to insult your preference of X2s. If I had a choice, I'd probably take the X2s as well; I don't do enough photoshop to justify having a powermac over a X2.

Sry I can't explain it better, but it has to do with the powerpc aritecture vs. the x86 aritecture.

And I still can't spell architecture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom