Lord Joshly

Baseband Member
Recently, I have had some problems with my iBook G4. Specs are as follows:
iBook G4 1.33Ghz 12" LCD
1024MB of RAM
40GB Hard Drive
Mac OS X 10.4.8

Well, on to the problemS.
I was just playing a graphics intensive game, and the laptop did get quite hot, when my screen suddenly went blank! So I restarted because I thought there was no way to get it to display again. I also didn't think that anything else was happening when the screen went blank.

When I restarted, it wouldn't turn on again. So I left it for about two hours, and then it turned on again, but about 2 hours later, it fully shut down.
So I did some research, and found out that resetting the PMU helps. So, of course, I did that, and it turned on, and worked fine.

But the next day, I had the iBook on a desk, and I didn't see it's charger cord, and,
unfortunately, I tripped over it, resulting in ripping my iBook off the desk, and slamming it onto the floor. (The iBook was "sleeping" at the time).
So I quickly opened it, and it had shut down! So I started it up and it worked fine, so I logged in, and the airport wasn't working, so I restarted again, and the airport worked again. So I went to play that game again, and the screen went blank!.. again!
This time, I found that the screen doesn't go blank at all! If you turn the brightness down all the way on your iBook, you'll still be able to see that the display is still showing everything, but very faintly. This is what it looked like, but I could NOT turn the brightness up.
So I held the screen up to a light, and that helped me to see what I was doing, and all the programs were still working as per normal.

I navigated myself to System Preferences, and got to Displays, and changed the resolution down to 800x600 from 1024x768, and it displayed normally again.
Then I changed the resolution back to 1024x768 and it worked like normal.
About 10 minutes later, the same thing happened again, and I did the same thing, and the same thing happened!

I am really confused to as what is happening.
I am using the iBook right now, and the charger seems to be stuffing up. It glows yellow, and doesn't charge. And sometimes it glows dark red and does charge. And sometimes it glows green, and it says it's charged.. when it clearly isn't..

Anybody have any ideas?
It is very VERY annoying :confused:
::EDIT::
I almost forgot! The computer recently had problems before, and I had the logic board replaced by Apple.
This computer is provided by my school, and it can be repaired *for no cost*, but, it does take a large amount of time, and with the work I do for school.. I cant really be without it.. And I am actually on holidays, and if I do have to get it repaired, I have to wait until I get back.

Get it repaired by the school... There's definitely something really wrong with it, and 9 chances out of 10, if we pinpointed what it was, you wouldn't be able to fix it yourself.

Alright, it just did it again... Turned off completely and then wouldn't turn on again, that is.. So I reset the PMU and took out the battery and it worked again.
So yes, thanks WorldIndustries, you're very very right, there is definetly something wrong with it. I can continue using this way for the time being though.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom