Powerbook or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eg37se

Baseband Member
Alright, my apologies if there has been any posts related to this exact subject but here it goes: I'm going into college and have like 1800 to spend on a laptop. I currently have a PC, amd 3200+, 1gb, 230gb hdrive, blah blah blah, and wanna know if anyone would recommend a Powerbook. I was thinking maybe the 12 inch because it's not my only computer, portable, powerful and yet at the same time arousing to the eye (I should be in apple marketing.) Would anyone suggest this, I was just going to get a 60gb hdrive becasue id never need anymore and upgrade the ram to 768mb (to upgrade it any further is a rip off if you look) and the apple care plan incase i spill coolaid on it or something. Before you say I can't get all this for that price, my college get's a 200 dollar discount for all apples. So basically should I go with this or look elsewhere. Thanks to whoever is going to help me out.

Go for an iBook. You can get a well-equipped 14 inch iBook for relatively the same cost as a well-equpped 12 inch powerbook. But its up to you. But since you can get a discount, I say go for it. :)
This Link should help out a little :)

go for the iBook or the powerbook? I also get discounts from dell or gateway

"Boodey shaiiikin..."

I also recommend an iBook. Powerbooks are cool, but they might still be a little much for what many can afford. iBooks don't look all that bad either I guess the depends on your budget situation. :confused: :cool:

The newest iBoks are really the better value because you get the G4, AirPort, 60gb HD, 14 inch screen, and its cheaper to upgrade the ram on an iBook than it is with a PowerBook. (I was gonna get the PowerBook, but I ended up getting a maxxed out iBook because it turned out to be cheaper than a 'good' PowerBook.)

Get the powerbook. Why? Because of the extra 32 megs of video ram. This stuff is very important in macs, especially if you want to do excessive multitasking. Also, get 256 megs of ram and upgrade it yourself. Costs you less. Finally, get a 30 gig hard drive, cause thats all you'll really need. If you want, you can always buy an external enclousre and get a 120+ gig hard drive if you need space, since all apples have firewire.

the lowest you can get is a 60gb hdrive. installing ram myself is not an option as it voids the warranty on the powerbook which i would feel alot safer having incase my roommate poops on it or something.

Your roommate sounds... nice :eek:

So, I say to go for a better iBook. Its polished plastic, so the poop will slide right off :freak: :p
And, from personal experience I can tell you that the iBook is the better value. I don't think the PowerBook has motherboard RAM built in *although, i could be mistaken* And a 64mb gfx card isn't going to make a difference in your multitasking. Plus, the iBook gets you 14 inches over 12 inches... Bigger is better. So price yourself up an iBook and see how much it would cost for all of your options. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom