? on PowerBook G4 and Networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

loserpunk

Beta member
i just today got a PowerBook G4 that i bought off ebay (cheapest route for a second computer) anyways, went to get online, after i installed OS X, the airport card doesn't recognize networks (while my roomates very similar G4 does) and when i plug in the ethernet connection that i know connects....nothing happens, i still can't access the internet....

any suggestions? this is my first mac so i'm kinda lost in all this

All I can think of is to go into "System Preferences", Click on "Network" and in the "Show" drop-down list, select "Network Port Configurations". Make sure that all of the ports are turned on. Other than this, I really can't think of anything else other than you might have gotten a bad Mac :(

alright update time

shut the comp down this morning, then i went this morning to check on here, i saw the suggestion, so i started the laptop up and tried it, they were all turned on, but for some reason when i opened the internet connection or w/e it's called, it had an interal ethernet option this time, i told it to connect and it did, internet works fine on the ethernet, few problems, i still don't know why the airport card doesn't work, but i'm convinced it will once i get everything updated (wishful thinking i know, but lets be optimistic) so i tried downloading the airport update from apple, when i went to install it it said it could only be installed on a HD running OS X, which i installed yesterday and thought it was running on, now my i just didn't finish the install or i did something wrong, but i cna't figure out why it says that, when the comp starts up it goes to the load page and says OS X with a load bar below it, so i assume it's running on OS X

thanks again

What version of OS X are you using? The newest AirPort software may not be compatible with older versions of the operating system.
And to update, are you using "Software Update"? or are you going directly to Apple's website to find the updates? It would be best to use Software Update if you aren't already.
Other than that, I'm out of ideas for now :(

well, at first i went directly to apple to get the update for os x 10.4, then i had it find any more updates and restarted to install all of them.....the airport is now recognizing a known wireless network, but i shows an error when trying to connect, and still shows no signal strength while my roomates shows full

i also downloaded the airport update from apple still to no avail......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom