Power PC vs Intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theshonen8899

In Runtime
Say I was to buy a powerbook. I want to use this for all my graphics and workstation stuff. I want it to be a notebook so I can bring it to school and work on stuff with the school's G5. Should I go with a PowerBook or MacBook Pro?

I read on a europeon photoshop magazine that PowerPC cpus worked on Photoshop better than the new Intel cpus. I really don't care about dual booting or the ridiculous "Let's game on a Mac!" concept. I just want a powerful graphics notebook.

So what do you guys recommend? I'm new to Mac so sorry if I miss things.

Get a Macbook Pro.

95% of apps are already universal binaries, and it will be WAYY WAYY WAYYYYY faster.

Also, Photoshop for Intel will be out soon, until then, Photoshop for PPC runs perfectly fine, never had a problem with it on my Macbook Pro. :)

Running Photoshop on an Intel Mac through Rossetta (sp?) causes slight pauses while working in the application, but they're almost unnoticeable. As soon as the universal binary for photoshop comes out, it'll run at least 5 times faster than on any PowerPC Mac. :)
So definitely go for the MacBook. It'll be more expensive than buying a used PowerBook, but it'll be worth the cost later on. ;)

apple is also readying 10.4.8, which supposedly will have major rosetta updates. Maybe apple was killing rosetta until then made the full switch to intel, then when its all intel make te performance of rosettta go wayyyy up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom