Panther onto G3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountnbkr69

Beta member
I have been trying to install Panther onto a G3. I am constantly getting errors concerning the startup disk not being recognizable. Has anyone else ran into this problem?

What precisely is your system?

iMac, iBook, PowerMac, PowerBook, Beige towers, All-in-one?

If you could post your specifications, then it would help immensely:)

G3 Blue and White tower is what you have. Have you actually been able to install OS X on the disk but then have problems starting up?

Either way you are going to have to upgrade the firmware. Any mac install CD has firmware upgrades in the Extras folder. Run it and it will walk you through what to do.

Are you upgrading from an earlier version of OS X? Or are you installing right onto OS 9? Because I beleive you must have the latest version of OS 9 to install any form of OS X ontop of it.

OSx will inform you if your machine isnt supported (it checks the boot rom). There are ways around it but if it installs you should be fine (Im pretty much B&W G3's arent supported in Jag, though not sure about panther)

Yes you can run OS X jag or panter on a B&W, I have one sitting next to me right now running panther. The easiest way to do this is get a clean working install on a supported system then just swap drives.
Since you probably don't have another system and it won't recognize your drive you have in there try this:
Server can be shut down - restarted using the web interface or via command line.
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20010918213019220

I have the latest firmware upgrade installed. I also have the latest version of OS 9 installed and I still receive the same message.

I am trying to install a fresh load not upgrade.

I have not been told that the OS will not install on the computer.

Now I did not know about the partition size issue. I will try this and I will get back to all of you.

Thanks for all of the help thus far.

RyansTech said:
Yes you can run OS X jag or panter on a B&W, I have one sitting next to me right now running panther. The easiest way to do this is get a clean working install on a supported system then just swap drives.
Since you probably don't have another system and it won't recognize your drive you have in there try this:
Server can be shut down - restarted using the web interface or via command line.
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20010918213019220

Panther has lower system requirements than Jaguar did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom