Panther on beige G3

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynejkruse10

Fully Optimized
my friend has a beige G3 266 mhz running jaguar. He says that Panther cannot be run on his mac. Is this true or do you need a patch
thanks
wayne

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/requirements.html

Mac OS X Version 10.3 requires a Macintosh with a PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor, built-in USB; at least 128MB of physical RAM and a built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video card supported by your computer. Mac OS X does not support processor upgrade cards.

I know Apple doesnt support systems like that but it may work. All I know is that I dont think that model meets the minimum requirements for processor speed and graphics power.

waynejkruse10 said:
he's got 384 meg of ram and hes upgraded heaps of stuff but it runs jaguar OK
wayne

If it runs Jag fine it should run Panther fine. Panther actually has lowe requriements than Jag did. If he has the software tell him to insert the disk. If it installs with no problem it will work (albiet slowly).

Heres a little info for you if you can not get it to install try a program called XpostFacto. Its on the Otherworld website (Mac reseller) This should take care of any problems you run into getting it to install. Now here is some more just FYI info for you;

XPostFacto will allow you to run OS X on any Legacy Mac (Power Mac 603 and up) They have installed OS X on the Powerbook 3400 even. I tried it also with a G3 upgrade and it works really really well. Panther is in development but they do have a working beta. I could not get it to work with my Power Mac 9350 Workgroup server which I upgraded to a Sonnet G3 400 1MB. I would recommend though that you have a little bit nicer graphics card on the Legacy's then stock.

Honestly, you should have either a high-end G3 and up to fully enjoy Panther. And by high-end, I mean the most recent G3 @ 900mhz. And you would definitely need a higher-end gfx card( no less than 16 megs ). and At least 256 mbs of total ram. My cousin has a blueberry iBook g3 and she has panther, and it's sooo slow. But it still works and that's good I suppose. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom