OSX Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelUser101

In Runtime
I have heard a couple rumors about windows computers running Mac OS X without the mac hardware..is this true? and WHERE CAN I FIND IT!!!!!!!!!!!

No, he means the hacked OSx86 thing.

Firstly, its very unstable and very annoying to get working. It runs reasonably slow.

Secondly, its illegal, and macdude425 or Qiranworms will probably close this thread because of it.

It's not illegal to talk about it - it is, however, illegal to link to software the creates this workaround, or linking to illegal software in general.

It looks like that thread was locked on the ASSUMPTION that an illegal copy was used.

http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Apple_APPLE_Mac_OS_X_10_4_Tiger_Macintosh

No offense to the mod, but OS X is for sale.

However, installing OS X on a non-mac computer IS illegal whether you buy it or not:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/05/17/78300_21OPcurve_1.html

So.... even if a legit copy was purchased, OS X can't run on PCs without altering the source code - therein becoming an illegal copy.

You can still talk about how it is possible, and tell IntelUser101 to try to google for it. Once you start talking about how to do it and links where to acquire the software, then it becomes a no-no for this forum. Once you start providing links to the actual software, then it becomes illegal under the DMCA. ( http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9590_22-6040983.html )

This post went nowhere, I think. I just hope it's readable - it's 4am here. I should really get to bed...

Eagleboy said:
It looks like that thread was locked on the ASSUMPTION that an illegal copy was used.

No offense to the mod, but OS X is for sale.
No. Macdude was right. Simple reason why: Mac OS X may be for sale. But Mac OS X for Intel processors is NOT for sale yet. There hasn't been any paid upgrade for Intel-based Macs sold yet, and thus nobody with an Intel Mac has any reason to purchase an OS X disc; their computer came with the one they need and all updates prior to Leopard can be done online.

As proof, the hardware requirements of Mac OS X upgrade as sold on the website state that you need a "PowerPC G5, G4 or G3 processor".

Thus, anyone who claims to have purchased a copy of OS X to install on their non-Mac is either clueless and doesn't realize it won't install, willing to use PearPC, or (most likely) simply lying about how they got OS X.

TouchÄ—. You are spot on with that observation.

However, never underestimate the power of stupid people - I can definitely see someone buying Mac OSX for PowerPC processors and expect it to work on their Intel machine, given the recent platform jump.

At that point, that's not illegal. It's illegal to alter the code so that it works on your machine, but by far it's not illegal to be a complete bumbling moron when buying Operating Systems.

Therefore, the mod still made an assumption that an illegal copy was used. Just because the Intel version hasn't been released for individual sale yet doesn't mean that people aren't stupid enough to buy the PowerPC version to try it out.

Maybe you didn't see, but the thread is about getting networking to work on his already-running OSx86 machine.

Stop arguing about it. Someone needs to close this thread because its totally pointless.

IntelUser101 said:
I have heard a couple rumors about windows computers running Mac OS X without the mac hardware..is this true? and WHERE CAN I FIND IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Clearly he's asking us to point him in the direction of the illegal OSx86 (look at the title of the thread "OSX HACK"). Not only is it against the rules to ask, but it's also against the rules to tell. I know where to find it, in fact, it's sitting on my desk right here. It works good in VMware. Am I going to help him? No. He can go find it himself.

Edit: By hey, what happens when they release 10.5? People with Intel Macs running 10.4 will want to upgrade, so they will have to release it for sale. Wait, there are install CD's that come with Intel Macs right now. I wonder if they will work... I'll have to try it when I get my Macbook Pro. Check the sig for details, lmao.

Eagleboy said:
Therefore, the mod still made an assumption that an illegal copy was used. Just because the Intel version hasn't been released for individual sale yet doesn't mean that people aren't stupid enough to buy the PowerPC version to try it out.
Again, no he didn't. If you read the first post in the linked thread, you'll see he had installed it successfully, and was asking for help getting it functioning completely. He would never have gotten a PowerPC version installed in the first place.

Stop arguing about it. Someone needs to close this thread because its totally pointless.
Mkay. Feel free to email/PM me for any questions/arguments/complaints/etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom