OS X Leopard

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornell4life

Baseband Member
I heard a rumor that Leopard will intergrate virtualization technology into it's structure, allowing for OS X to run along side XP, for instance, much as what parallels allows you to do now. What do you guys think about this? Is Mac stupid to make this move, if it is even true?

So far, just about everything we know about Leopard is rumor. We'll really know a lot more about it after this year's WWDC.

Anyways, no, I don't think it's a stupid move; this way, you can use your Mac programs AND Windows programs at the same time without having to go thru the hassle of rebooting.

would they run at native speeds? i never understood why its not possible to do this. the hardware is there...

oh, and whats the status of wine for osx? or even mac-uh, mace? mac emulator for windows/linux

well, wouldn't people who want to run OS X and windows apps at the same time without rebooting just be using Parallels program already?

what?

whats so hard to understand about this. i DO NOT have a mac, and i want to run mac apps in linux or windows.

i CAN NOT run parallels because i DO NOT have a mac.

besides, take wine for example. you can run modern games like half life 2 in wine, and it takes hold of things like hardware excelleration for games and stuff. sure, you can run quake 3 in vmware and it works alright, but its all software

parallels will run windows apps way slower than if darwine worked as good as wine

plus darwine is opensource and free, parallels isnt

how can you say, "parallels will run apps way slower than if darwine worked as good as wine?" haha, what does that mean. That's like saying, "My toyota corolla would go as fast a corvette if it had the same engine as a lamborgini." But know what? It doesn't. I'm not following your logic there.

what are you talking about?

darwine and wine are both WINdows Emulators. wine is for linux, darwine is for mac. if darwine worked as good as wine does, then programs would run at near native speeds (actually for me, wine runs programs faster than windows, check out the superpi time thread in the overclocking forum.

heres my logic: if you want to run windows apps in mac osx, emulating hardware is not the answer. it is extremely slow. emulating SOFTWARE (i.e. WINDOWS) is the answer.

so your comment about the corolla and the corvette are a clear representation of your confusion on this topic. parellels and all hardware emulators are VERY SLOW compared to native applications. why should i emulate the hardware AND run the OS on it, just to run one app?

and not only do all that, but pay for it too?

darwine still has a LOT of developing to do, this is why it runs windows apps slower than wine does in linux.

do you understand yet? if not, let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom