Oh yeah, Quad Xeon Mac Pro's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kinda don't like the fact that there is no physical eject buttton on the drive....

I worked in a biochem. lab for a couple of years that used mac G4's and G5's and there were a couple of times that disks got stuck in the drive after they were "ejected". This was using a zip drive though and ejected by "trashing" the disk... OSX didn't see the disk but it was still in the drive. I eventually ended up having to take the front off of the computer and hitting the physical eject button on the drive that was hidden under the front faceplate. What a pain!! Ever since then I have been a little bit leary about not having a physical eject button readily available on a drive... I like having the option to manually override everything and get my disk in the rare occation of catastrophic software/hardware failure.

Has anyone ever had any problems like this with the CD/DVD drives?

moisiss said:
I eventually ended up having to take the front off of the computer and hitting the physical eject button on the drive that was hidden under the front faceplate. What a pain!!

Well, thats a ZIP drive which is not really Apple hardware. Also, considering you had a ZIP drive, you were probably using a much older version of OSX that was incredibly buggy compared to todays newest version which is why the disk may have gone retarded. One thing you should've done (and for future reference) would've been to just restart the computer. If the disk was in the drive, the computer would've recognized it upon startup and you could've tried to eject it again. :)

Personally, I've never seen/heard of a CD getting stuck in any Mac drives. The eject button works perfectly and if worst comes to worst you just restart the computer and hold down the mouse button (or the "e" key) and the computer will spit out whatever its chewing on :laughing:

I just got two of these things in. deployed them in a production environment, most apps running under rosetta and they're smoking G5 quads. and the performance of apps under windows is amazing. its just a shame windows doesn't support the full 16gb RAM these things came with. it would be unbeatable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom