noisy fans on iMac g5 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imac G5 noisy fan

I bought a new G5 imac about 2 months ago and it was very quiet. Only ever heard the fans or one of them on a re-start. Otherwise it was dead quiet. The only problem was the CD-RW didn't write at the advertised speed.

I sold that imac and bought a new one, another 1.8 GHz unit and this one has a very noisy fan. It is going all the time. The speed of it increases with processor activity. I took it into the local Mac dealer and they confirmed that it has a noisy fan, as did the other unit in their shop, and I was told that Apple are aware of the problem and are working on a fix.

I am waiting. The noise is a nuisance.:(

You might also check to see in System Pref's if your processor performance is set to Highest, or Automatic. A setting of Automatic usually makes the computer work too hard for itself and thus creates noise. This can be checked in Energy Settings under System Prefs. When my iBook is set to Automatic performance, the fan is constantly on and the surface below the monitor gets extremely hot, but when set to highest or reduced, the fan only comes on once in a while and the computer is no where near as hot.

Thanks, I do remembner that coming up before. It appears there is a known fault that Apple are working on. The dealer has said it is a faulty fan, not the controller.

Well, I ended up buying one. I am not sure as to how to read the correct speed but for what I do, it is very quiet and reliable with no issues whatsoever.

I'm not fond of the mouse......it's too sensitive and I like the right click of my windows machine. I love the keyboard. When I send an email, while composing, I can't use the home and end buttons when I want to go to the beginning and end of the line.........a little disconcerting but, not the end of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom