noisy fans on iMac g5 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow! interesting...i have worked for authorized apple service providers, and have worked on version 1, and version 2 powermac g5's. here's an interesting note for you to consider. On the version two...in order to remove the dual processors...there are torx screws that are very inaccessible. asked apple to send the tool...they don't make one. check with mac tools, and several other hardware stores...no one had an 8 inch long 2.5mm torx tool...bummer. had to weld one. anyway...g5's are noisy...with 7 fans, how can they not be. point in case...they are powermacs...they are awesome! if you want a quiet machine...buy the imac...just remember that you can't do much upgrading (ram, hdd, and your os. If all you are doing is a little amateur video...look into a nice powermac g4. They are quieter, upgradeable, and still a very nice machine. In fact...if you are not worried about upgrading a whole lot...why don't you buy a g4 powerbook...those are really quiet, have plenty of computing power with a decent onboard video, and will probably suit your purpose. I recommend you go into an apple store, or an authorized apple service provider and check them out before you buy. good luck!

thanks for all the comments. I find it interesting that I still haven't come across anyone who actually owns one (iMac G5 20") to give me an opinion as to whether the fan cycles distractingly up and down. Thankx again.......this is interesting for sure.

well my PC has 2 fans, one for cpu, one for power supply and thats it, and its very quiet, inexpensive too

horndude said:
well my PC has 2 fans, one for cpu, one for power supply and thats it, and its very quiet, inexpensive too

Hes not asking how your PC is. Hes asking about the iMac G5. Stay on topic.

have to understand a PC to me doesnt mean x86, its means personal computer, a mac is a PC, sorry for the confusion

coming from a mainly PC person, I have to say I thought the mac was actually quite. It hay not be the silence hardcore MAC people are used to, but its quiet.

hey mrjingle...i really hope you consider buying a tower as opposed to any imac or emac...they are so much more upgradeable, easier to work on, and built to be a workhorse...keep it in mind.

mac.......I'm considering a tower. Remember I am novice and all that I do is email, go out onto the net and now I want to get into photography. No games, music, video or anything like that. I don't think expandability will be an issue except in the case of RAM and I can expand that on the iMac. From what I'm told, you're right, it's a workhorse but for me, I think it would be overkill..love the replies though....Thanks Oh, BTW......I went to a Mac store today and asked what the difference was between the iMac 1.8 and the power Mac 1.8 single......he told me that, besides expandability, the power M's are hard to get now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom