noisy fans on iMac g5 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrjingle

Baseband Member
Hello to everybody. I am a potential new Mac buyer. I am intrigued by Macs because of reliability, tech support and whisper quiet. I am not a techie and don't know much about computers. I have a PC presently and when I have a tech problem and call the tech support people, they're terrible and always give me a reference number which results in no resolve after long arduous hours of trying to find a solution. I recently bought a SLR digital camera and all I want to do is photographic application, edit, manipulate, send digital photographs. I need support. In doing my homework, I read in forums that the new iMac G5 20 has a loud fan that cycles up and down. I also find that Apple states that the fan noise is within specs. Many many long time users who, with enthusiastic anticipation, bought their new iMac G5s and took them home, plugged them in and immediately experienced this fan distraction....some even could hear it over playing tunes etc.....my question here is: Does anybody out there have loud fan noise from their iMac G5.....if not......I'll buy tomorrow.....and if not.....I'm wondering why on Mac NN so so many agree to that mutual problem. I'd appreciate your input...thankx and I hope to be a user soon.

The iMac's fan should not be any louder than any normal PC fan and its loudness varies by CPU load (more load = more work = higher cpu temp). I dont have one so I cant tell you exactly, but as far as I know I dont think it would be that big of a deal.

G5 has a sizable power supply, in a quiet room you can definitely hear its cooling fan, dunno if its louder than some of the other power supplies or not.I do know that thing is quite expensive and more powerful than what I typically use.I have a feeling they will change the size of the cooling fans for power supplies if they keep growing in size quite soon, they will have to.

fans

Am I nuts for considering this......I am just some flopper who doesn't know computers but likes nice , problem free things with good service.........and I am into photography.....yes, you're right.....it's expensive.....the expense is not my concern.....talking with someone who can't solve my problem is my concern.....thankx again.......Steve.

Well, looks like on the macnn forums this is a common issue, a 650watt power supply and two processors with fans isnt likely to be silent you know.Dunno if its a manufacturing,design, or setup issue, or what if any solution there is.The replies on that forum dont seem to be real clear, some say its an intermittent noise that varies with load, some say its noisy all the time.Dunno what to tell you.

FANS

THANKS FOR DOING THE FOLLOW UP........SO LOOKS LIKE I HAVE A LEGITIMATE CONCERN. I FEEL BETTER.

I dont know what iMac G5 youre looking at, horndude, but all G5 iMacs are single processor machines with much smaller power supplies.

horndude said:
a 650watt power supply and two processors with fans isnt likely to be silent you know.

As G5 said, the iMac G5 doesn't have two processors. The Powermac G5s which DO have two processors are actually particularly quiet. More space in the case for Apple to design a more efficient cooling system I suppose. Unlike a typical PC setup of 4 or 5 fans on at all times, it used 9 fans that went on individually as necessary. This way there was only as much noise as necessary, and because there are more fans the individual fans could be lower powered and smaller, thus creating less noise when less of them are on...AND they can cover the entire case as a whole better.

The newest Powermac G5 is at least partially watercooled I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom