New Macs Have Downgraded Hard Drive Controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
New Macs Have Downgraded Hard Drive Controller?

Ben Tseng clued us in to a rather large discussion going on in the MacRumors forums about new MacBook Pro laptops that have capped hard drive speeds. It would seem that Apple has cut potential read / write speeds in half and the benchmarks he (and others) showed us seem to back that claim. As of this morning there was still no official explanation from Apple on this one.

Wow, that's a really low cap compared to what the speed's were at before. What do you think the reason is behind this? Or is it a new piece of hardware that's not dialed in yet?

Oh I see, too bad it can't be turned into a power saving mode and be able to turn it on or off when you want. That way you could have it off when plugged in, but have it on when on battery.

Is this connected with some of the custom hard drive firmware that i have been hearing about?
I have been hearing rumors that Macs are beginning to modify the firmware in drives so that people have to by the iReplacement-Part for when the the i-HardDrive i-Craps-itself

Is this connected with some of the custom hard drive firmware that i have been hearing about?
I have been hearing rumors that Macs are beginning to modify the firmware in drives so that people have to by the iReplacement-Part for when the the i-HardDrive i-Craps-itself

That was never assertained as true, while apple, dell an compaq etc would love the idea there is laws preventing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom