new to the mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

integra3g

Beta member
hi i new to the whole apple scene cause ive been stuck with the problem child of computers(ibm) but im thinking about getting an apple for school next year and im wondering if this is really a good switch

"Enter the Macintosh..."

Switching from a Mac to a PC isn't really the most nessisary thing in the world to do. And the only real benefit of having either MacOS X or Windows XP, is that one looks better than the other. (OS X) :p Both platforms have their ups and downs. PC's are better for the gaming and the IT and web side of things like programming and hosting a website with. (like a server.) PC's are OK with graphics design, but not great at it. Macs on the other hand are the best when it comes to graphics design. Not to big on gaming though, (since Mac programmers are hit the hardest when their software is pirated.) And althogh a typical mac is compatible with the latest server technology, it's rare because that kind of software is hard to find on the Mac platform. PC's can be overclocked, Case-Modded, and can have fans and other cooling devices added to them. Macs on the outher hand, don't need them. (For they know they bee lookin' good.:snob::cool: But the G5, even though it's overclockable in the M****F***, you're going to have a hellofalotta-trouble trying to get fans and cooling devices in them.
So you see? Macs are good at things that PC's arent, and PC's are good at things that Macs aren't. so they are pretty much equal in an overall aspect. Therfore, i don't reccomend that you make a complete switch. Get a mac if you can, but don't rely to heavilly on either one of them. :cool:

I too am new to Macs. Like you, I am considering buying one. Listening to owners' kudos, reading consumer reports, experiencing the frustrations of talking to non english speaking tech support people who end up giving me a case number which does me no good, I look to the Mac for reliability reasons, level of support and whisper quiet attributes. Appearance plays no role in my decision. I am not a gamer. I go to web sites, email, and now I am into digital photography and as I understand it, the Mac will lend creativity in my new-found hobby with speed and ease. Mostly, it is the service end that drives my buying decision. Maybe I'm crazy....but, I don't think I am.

mrjingle said:
Mostly, it is the service end that drives my buying decision. Maybe I'm crazy....but, I don't think I am.

Well, don't expect good Tech-Support to be good. According to Consumer Reports it's now the best, but judging by the quality levels that exist, being the best still doesn't actually mean being good...it just means being better then everything else, which doesn't even say too much.

not necessarily true in this case worms. CS administers pure query not comp query. Most Mac users don't have IBM and therefore there is no comparison as such. Mac users are satisfied and IBMrs aren't and the number ratio is certainly overwhelming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom