Networking (complexish)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikkon

In Runtime
Okay so ive never set up a network on a mac. That being said I guess ill start with the entire set up.

I have two servers, both of which run windows server 2000. One's a file server and the other is a file back up server. From there im running two switches which run to serveral window based workstations (to which i was hired to do) and a room full of mac's (to which i was not hired to do). The mac's are mainly os9 (9.1 / 9.0 i believe) and one machine running osX. Now to save money the company wants me to see if i can reformat the macs and set them up on the server. Reformating is not a problem. I *think* (about 85% sure) I know what im doing in the networking department. However, just to make sure i dont screw something up can someone walk me though setting up the network on the mac. It needs to be running a workgroup which would limit user capibility (standard sys admin, admin, user setup).

I dont necessarly need a dummy proof explaination, however as much detail as you could give would be appreciated

Thanks !

You would have to start with you're Windows 2000 servers. You have to add the Apple Talk Protocol to both the servers or the one you want the Mac's to be able to access.

As far as the permissions thing goes it should also be done on the servers i.e. kerberos/Active Directory...then the users on the macs connect to the servers/shares with there logon name and password which aunthenticates there rights to those machines.

As far as the Mac's talking to each other it is really machine specific which the users determine what files they want to share and not to share..they can also create there own file sharing logon names and passwords for the Mac users to browse via Apple Talk/Chooser. It should be something like this hierarchy..

Win2k Servers--Source of Authentication/Main Network line
Network Switch--allows users to connect via ports
Mac's/PC's-- both users connect to servers
PC's talk to PC's via TCP/IP or other protocol
Mac's talk to Mac's via Apple Talk Protocol

Someone can get way wayyy more detailed than I ever could, but this is how we have our setup here at work..

We have about 45 Windows Based servers and about 60 Mac's that use the method above without error's. There may be new ways of configuring them on Windows 2003 Server, but I have yet to tinker with that (still on 2k server).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom