My PowerMac G5 sounds like a jet engine...

Status
Not open for further replies.

andydude117

Baseband Member
Doing simple things like going on the internet makes my 2.5 GHz PowerMac G5 sound like I'm in a wind tunnel. It gets really annoying when it's really quiet and my parents are sleeping in the next room, and all the fans are going at one time.

I've read everywhere about how quiet the PowerMacs are, but mine is not quiet at all. Is there anything I could do?

Thanks,
Andy

Did this start from the beginning, or did it start happening after an OS X upgrade?

What version of OS X are you currently using? HAVE you upgraded it? If not, what upgrade is available?

Try the latest version of OSX if you dont have it.
Look in System Preferences>Energy Saver and see if its set to "highest". If it is, automatic would probably be more comfortable to you as it actively throttles down/up the CPU (and thus the fans to cool) based on usage.

This has been happening from the beginning, but I kind of ignored it. I have been updating, and now I have OS 10.3.8.

If it's still doing it, I suggest you use your Apple Hardware Test CD that came with your computer. If there is an outstanding problem with your processor or fans, this will find it and fix it, but if it is unable to fix it, then you had better be prepared to send that puppy off to god-knows-where to have it fixed. :(

Also thought of.... Where is your tower located? on your desk? Below your desk? In a corner? In the open? You should make sure it has plenty of room to breathe behind it and around it. But if this is not the case, I have not thought of any other solution... :(

I put the energy saver setting on highest, and that seems like it's working. Now it's pretty quiet! Thank you all for your help!

-Andy

andydude117 said:
I put the energy saver setting on highest, and that seems like it's working. Now it's pretty quiet! Thank you all for your help!

-Andy

No problem. The energy saver option is tricky, as Ive heard it go both ways : loude ron highest, louder on automatic. Just fickle that way I guess. Glad it worked out for you.

Mine sounds like a jet too. -.- I hate it. I wish everything on it were wireless so I could put it in the garage or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom