Migrating to a Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beyeohazard

Baseband Member
Well, here goes. I've read quite a few posts concerning the Mac here on the forums, and the more I read, the more interested I get in buying one of them.
I've been into computers since the Apple first came out. (Yes, I'm dating myself..) 99% of my experience is with PC's, and while I am happy with mine, I can't help but wonder why these Mac addicts are so hardcore about their rigs. Meet a Mac user, and they more than likely never use a PC for anything.
I would like to hear from some Mac users on the pros and the cons of these computers and how a Mac compares to a PC that is configured with similar components. What are they like to upgrade, how stabe is the OS, is software (games especially) as rare as in the past? I know there are some disticnt differences that PC users will notice, what are they?
Thanks in advance.

I don't own one myself but I have used many and they are by far better than any PC I have ever used...save Apple's mice which are terrible, at least at my school.

Anyways, the OS never crashes on them they are extremely stable and you get get little to no errors, unless you deserve one.

The one thing about them is, they are much more expensive than PC's are, save the Mini. Also it has been brought to my attention that Apple is soon going to replace their current computers with some newer models with faster speeds on everything, so you might want to wait for that.

not necessarily faster... just different processors. i doubt if the first intels will out perform the quad g5

Ive bin thinking of getting a mac also, but i think a mac would be better as a laptop rather then desktop because the only reason i use a desktop over laptop is gaming. And macs cant run steam games

I have been using PC since 1992, and thereafter switched to windows until 4 weeks back. as had saved some £££ even after buying Acer Ferrari Laptop (Windows), so thought of giving a try to MAC starting from lowest learning tool as Apple MAC Mini.

How did I find it? (where "it" means the OS-X), within 2 weeks of Mini MAC Usage, I bought PowerBook 17" this week . I cannot say I am brokeout now, as still have plenty of finances available, but this is my recent purchase for MAC flushing £2200 within a month. I love the OS, that I stopped using Windows (poor Acer Ferrari, but hey, windows have softwares that arent with MAC, so no worries with that ;)

I found it easier than windows to do things, especially after Advanced level experience on Windows where I can fix almost anything in windows, I found it much much user friendly. funny thing happened as I switched my MAC for the first time, after registration and using (installations, removals, organising things - learning basics of MAC) as the time for shut down came, I didnt know how to do that. now that was real problem as I didnt want to just press the power button. so had to open the mini mac manual with it, and still remained confused, as it wsa showing APPLE > Shut Down. where I was able to see the Apple on my Keyboard (btw I'm using Logitech Win/Mac Compatible) so first thought went there as I have been apple sign there long before buying Apple. pressing it was showing nothing, and I was like thinking that My Keyboard isnt working. I was just about to call Apple Support that my eye went on Blue Apple on upper left corner............and there was ShutDown hidden there :). I love it!!!!

I'd reccomend that you definetly wait for the Mactels, they "might" be arriving this Spring, if not earlier and June being the latest. The more powerful models will follow the "weaker" Mac Mini and iBooks, but even those models will show a significant performance boost. Oh, and you'll be able to dual-boot if you have two HD's and probably even run x86 software on Mac OSX, which may even defeat the purpose of needing to dual-boot. It's amazing, the Yonah CPU's will definetly improve the Powerbook's performance, and yet their rumored to be even thinner! I just hope Apple goes in the direction of allowing CPU, RAM and GPU upgradeable components in the computer. Apple has paved the way for MP3 and Videos on the go. If Apple really want's to suprise the computer world, making the first upgradeable Powerbook would surely be the way to go (excluding just being able to upgrade the RAM).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom