Maxtor HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Underbelly

Solid State Member
Hi,

I've got a 120gig Maxtor External Hard Drive. Lot's of important non-backuped information on it. I was copying a 15 gig file to it with only about 17-20 gigs left on it (not sure but it was almost full) An error message saying something was wrong and my file could not be copied.

The sick little pinwheel thing kept spinning after that forcing me to reboot my Mac. (old B&W G3) Upon reboot, I get a message that says my Harddrive is not formated for my machine with 3 choices. initalize, Ignore, or eject.

Of course, the first one will erase everything, the other 2 are pointless.

I ran Techtools. The on,y function on it was checking section and it took about 22 hours to check 30% of it but I had to cancel at that piont but it seems to be checking ok. By that I mean the drive was running (It has always been a slow USB, but that's my old Mac's fault)

Right now I'm running DiskWarrior with it's rebuilding function and that has been running for 24 hours (120 gig to rebuild)

If anyone has any suggestions, PLEASE HELP ME!

Thanks

Jeff

thats the answer, your harddrive is most likely bad.

try plugging it into a different port or, if tis really important, into the ide controller

yes, the hard drive is most likely dead.
you could try ressurecting your hard drive by putting it in a freezer (I'm serious, apparently it works for some people....)
other than that, I would just recommend you replace the drive with a Seagate.
Seagate have the lowest failure rate of all drives.

I really don't think the frive is dead. Like I said, Darn Disk Tool kit checks all the blocks and when it does that, it runs fine. The computer just won't see it. I've had drives that have gone bad and the drive still mounts. The only problem is I can't get the drive to mount. My Feeling is that I could reformate the drive but would like to get my stuff off it first.

If anyone actually knows anything, please help, otherwise please don't waite my time on your guesswork or to tell me the drive is dead, because thoswe do nothing but waste my time.

What is it formatted as? Try mounting it on another computer.
Underbelly said:
please don't waite my time on your guesswork or to tell me the drive is dead, because thoswe do nothing but waste my time.
Look, all we can do is guesswork since we can't see the drive or properly diagnose it. If you don't want us to waste your time, then fine.

Underbelly said:

The sick little pinwheel thing kept spinning after that forcing me to reboot my Mac. (old B&W G3) Upon reboot, I get a message that says my Harddrive is not formated for my machine with 3 choices. initalize, Ignore, or eject

Thanks

Jeff

doesnt intalize mean it will try to boot the drive? :confused:

try that

Sorry if I seem a little upset and I didn't mean to be so angry. I need the information on this drive. I run disk warror and it says every thing is fine but it still won't mount on my mac.

I've tried it on 2 different Mac's (It's formated for OSX) and the same thing. Is there any program that would be better to use? Does filling your drive too full (Almost 100%) cause problems (Because that's when it started)

THe drive runs but it doesn't mount. Telling me my drive is dead three times over or telling me what a poor drive this drive is does not help. I could really use a suggestion that might help. Again, I apologize for sounding ungrateful. That wasn't my intent.

Thanks you all for your comments but if you have one that may help, I'd really appreciate it. I'm really in trouble here. I've got lots of work that I should have backed up but I'm stupid and didn't.

Jeff

And matt2m, no, Initalize takes me to Disk Utilities and the only option there is it reformat which will erase the drive. (It does show up in disk utllities)

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom