Macbook Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you're overreacting to the switch, ATI.

G5 couldn't go into laptop, G4 is yesterday's greatest and doesn't stand up anymore, IBM didn't care nearly as much about computer processors compared to ones for game consoles because Apple was their only customer. I know the PowerPC had huge potential, and is theoretically a better processor design, but the fact is, x86 is outperforming it due to all the development focus that just can't exist for PowerPC. The ecomony is currently favouring x86, and thus they will continue to get faster, better, cooler, and more efficient. G5s hold their ground in many areas, but the fact is, it made more sense for Apple to go for a company that focused on what they needed. G5 could have probably stood its ground for longer, but the G4 is old, and when so much of their Mac sales lie in notebooks, they needed something that wasn't going to sit and stagnate.

You talk about not enough platform documentation, but this way, they don't NEED to write any more of it. It already exists, meaning they don't have to devote resources to the platform's development; it already exists.

It had to be done. Their machines will probably perform better because of it. I agree that PowerPC could have been much greater, but it just isn't working out that way, and it was pretty necessary to jump ship.

"PimpinPC..."

The PowerPC is by all means, at an uprising. Rumors of new advancements in the chip, as well as a few Console compadibilitys, would have made this chip a bigger hit than it was. But that's exacly what's happening thogh.

...I guess you're right though. The PPC for now, was outmatched by the x86, but that's only in the Home market. It seems that GAMING is going to be where the PowerPC gets it's edge. I hear of rumors that the Xbox360 is going to have PPC. (The Gamecube already does. :rolleyes: :() Some of you may not know this, but there isn't a Single 64bit 2.0ghz chip out there that can outmach a 2.0ghz G5. The only reason that hasn't been proven yet is because there wasn't a single game made for the Mac that fully utilized a 64bit G5.

The reason i am soo P!ssed off is not only because Apple abandoned the PPC when the PPC market was just getting good, but for the sake of the customers Apple has, who probably JUST got a brand new PowerBook, only to find out that the system they bought is already obsolete. I feel really sorry for the people in the future who get a PowerMac G5, only to find out that Apple already left them in the dust with an Intel based machine. :(

It would be funny if Apple started making PC's on the side. :p IBM should think about making their own platform of computers. ****- I'd buy em. :cool:

"I need a rope, and something vary sharp for my vacation..."

In the beginning, they made some vary chicken-sh!t PCs. They were outmached by the Apple II. Now they make some pretty good PCs with AMD 64s in them. ;)

I hope they still make PowerMac G5s though. I'm ordering one from apple.com before it's too late. :( :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom