Mac System for Adobe AfterEffects.

What do you think I should buy?

• iMac MF 2014-2015

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IntelCoreX

Beta member
I rarely ask tech questions (I normally try to solve everything myself) but since I want both Mac and Windows on the same system, I took the route to buy an official Mac route instead of going the Hackintosh route which has a good chance of running into a dead end, so if there are any clarifications needed, don't be hesitant to ask back. I am going to run AfterEffects CS 5.5. on a Mac however this is my first official Mac purchase as I got a Mac Copy of CS 5.5 Master Collection for a great rate. I have two paths to take:

1) Get a Refurbished MacPro 5.1 2012 - 3.2GHZ Intel Xeon (Quad) CPU, 32GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 1GB AMD/ATI Radeon 5770 GPU.

2) Get a New iMac MF 2014-2015 - 3.3GHZ Intel Core i5 (Quad) CPU, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 2GB AMD/ATI Radeon R9-M290 GPU.

I know I need to upgrade the MacPro GPU to 2GB at least, and get a new Monitor. However, on the other hand, I will need to upgrade the RAM on the iMac. Keyboard and Mouse is taken included with purchase in both cases. I have not seen any similar plans on a 24-48 hour search so I have to ask, thank you in advanced! I plan on making news graphics and other things on AE CS5.5.

-IntelCoreX / B.K.

Any reason you need to have Mac OS? If you're on a budget foregoing OS X for just Windows will b waaaay more cost effective

You can build a way, way, way better machine than buying a Mac. And this is coming from an Apple guy :tongue:

Apple's desktop / AIO line has been stagnating for some time now.

Largely I have been reading about a lot of issues regarding Windows 10 and CS5.5, I have seen 33% of the answers to be "Not working at all", 33% of the answers to be "Somewhat Working", and 33% of the answers to be "Working good". I do not want to take my chances, I don't know if building a Hackingtosh is an option, nor do I know if I can use any parts qualified for a DIY Windows PC that can run Mac OSX in a good way. Of course I know I am walking into breaking a contract but I never built a Hackingtosh before and I don't know if it is going to be fully reliable at the end. I heard great things though, and I am still open to that option at this moment.

Potential Hackingtosh Build:
Intel Core i7 6700K
16GB DDR4 RAM
nVidia GDDR5 GTX 960 GPU
Existing 3TB NAS

Partition 1 - Windows 10.
Partition 2 - OSX Snow Leopard - Upgrade to OSX El Capitan.

For sure I know Apple's desktop/AIO line is not the best now, nor can it do any better because I keep on seeing people switch from Mac to PC and it has reopened the Hackingtosh route. Though I don't endorse it and condone it, but it is just an option.

Back
Top Bottom