MAC or PC (yet again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyJumpUp

Beta member
My wife and I are looking into getting a notebook. All I have ever had has been PC, so I don't know much about MAC, other than my dad swears by it. My wife is really getting in to photo editing and scrapbooking, but other than that she does papers, we surf the web, and I do quite a bit of Excel work. Can I get some advise as to what our best bet would be? We're looking at an iBook or probably a Dell.

Thanks

The previous post regarding your question references PC. I assume that he/she is talking about IBM, windows, intel, etc. To me, PC is personal computer and that includes Apple. Your quandry is universal and your father is correct. If you purchase a Dell, etc....ready yourself for tech support that is ineffective and frustrating. Have lots of paper because they will give you reference numbers for when you call back. Most importantly, ready yourself for non-resolve of your problem. They will blame it on intel and itel blames it on the computer manufacturer. In short, if all you are doing is what you described, with an emphasis on photography (my passion) and excel.....and surfing....., and price is no object.......just buy the Apple. It's bulletproof. Have no fears that you won't be able to do what you can on an IBM, intel, microsoft, windows, Dell.......etc....stuff

macs are better for photo editing, pcs are cheaper. i would suggest a acer. they are real nice. or Get an apple if you are not going to be using the notebook for graphic intensive games.

U-Toast said:
macs are better for photo editing, pcs are cheaper. i would suggest a acer. they are real nice. or Get an apple if you are not going to be using the notebook for graphic intensive games.

Macs can handle graphic intensive games just fine. The only real issue with that is that there aren't enough of them available for Mac.

Beedubaya...I wouldn't too sure about that. Spend a Month with a Mac, and I'd be surprised if you still stood by that. :laughing:

There are plenty of advantages to both.

From what it sounds like, your wife would mostly be scanning and printing pictures for scrapbooking right?

If that's right, I'd recommend a PC because you're already used to using them and they're cheaper than a MAC.

Personally I prefer MAC's for a personal computer because they're more secure. But It's a tossup in my mind in the argument between Mac's and PC's

Normally, I would suggest a Windows machine. But since your choices are notebooks... I would highly suggest an iBook, or even a PowerBook. They're both lightweight, powerful, and they don't get slowed down with adware/spyware/crap. Whereas a PC might help you for a while, your surfing will eventually cause your computer to be bogged down with stuff you don't want. And then if something breaks on your Dell (which, of course, something always does) You'll have to send it in, or be on hold for three hours just to talk to someone you can't understand. And also, Dell's high performance laptops are considered "desktop relpacements" because they are not designed to be used as a portable computer. Dell does, however, have a line of highly portable laptops, but they are underpowered and have less useability than a Mac, or high performance PC notebook.

So for this situation... I highly advise you buy the iBook. I, too have an iBook and I think they are wonderful machines. I'm constantly using mine to work, play, and just about everything else. And with a Mac, you can buy the Mac version of your favorite Microsoft software. Office X for Mac is one helluva program and includes special features not available with Windows. :) So I think you would have no trouble with a Mac.:) Happy purchasing :D

"There are PCs, and then their are PowerPCs..."

Switching from a Mac to a PC isn't really the most nessisary thing in the world to do. And the only real benefit of having either MacOS X or Windows XP, is that one looks better than the other. (OS X) :p Both platforms have their ups and downs. PC's are better for the gaming and the IT and web side of things like programming and hosting a website with. (like a server.) PC's are OK with graphics design, but not great at it. Macs on the other hand are the best when it comes to graphics design. Not to big on gaming though, (since Mac programmers are hit the hardest when their software is pirated.) And althogh a typical mac is compatible with the latest server technology, it's rare because that kind of software is hard to find on the Mac platform. PC's can be overclocked, Case-Modded, and can have fans and other cooling devices added to them. Macs on the outher hand, don't need them. (For they know they bee lookin' good.:snob::cool: But the G5, even though it's overclockable in the M****F***, you're going to have a hellofalotta-trouble trying to get fans and cooling devices in them.
So you see? Macs are good at things that PC's arent, and PC's are good at things that Macs aren't. so they are pretty much equal in an overall aspect. Therfore, i don't reccomend that you make a complete switch. Get a mac if you can, but don't rely to heavilly on either one of them. :cool:

Even if you decide on a Windows machine (which I wouldn't recommend personally...but it's your choice)...I would highly recommend NOT going with Dell. There are much better things out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom