Mac OS9 question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I knew port speed was auto detected but for some reason I thought there was a way to manually change the port speed and duplex. I must be conjuring up false memories of my pre OSX days :confused: :confused: :( :( :mad:

Another weird question that is way off topic? Do any of the new G5's support OS9 classic or OS9? I heard no? This is what is keeping our company from buying G5's is because we need OS9. Any truth behind this?

Win2kpatcher said:
Another weird question that is way off topic? Do any of the new G5's support OS9 classic or OS9? I heard no? This is what is keeping our company from buying G5's is because we need OS9. Any truth behind this?

Completely true. The G5's cant boot into OS9 because the software needed to run the fan assemblies isnt OS9 compatable. This is also why you dont see any G5's with Linux on them. The fan assemblies, which are directly controlled by the temperature monitors on the hardware, which relays to the software which in turn sets the fan speed, are variable in speed based on the processor work load. Ive heard that one of two things can happen if OS9 is booted onto a G5 (which would require some serious firmware manipulation):

1) The fans dont run (AKA: the computer fries and you have a 2000$ piece of aluminum)

2) The fans spin at maximum speed, which can make for a very noisy experience (The dual 2.0GHz G5 has 9 fans...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom