Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.

iFargle

Linux / HPC / K8s SME
Staff member
What do you all think?

Apple - Mac OS X Lion

We took our best thinking from Mac OS X and brought it to the iPhone. Then we took our best thinking from the iPhone and brought it to iPad. And now we're bringing it all back to the Mac with our eighth major release of the world's most advanced operating system. Mac OS X Lion arrives in summer 2011. Here's a sneak peek at just a few of its features.

I'm iffy on the whole "full screen" application stuff, but the Mac App Store sounds promising. FaceTime on Mac OS is very nice, as well. You know it's going to be in the next generation iPad :tongue:

App Management is also a lot like the iPad, which is a good and bad thing. I'd like it to also be in the Applications folder like 10.6/5/4/3, etc, etc. One thing I don't like (and hopefully have an option to change) is the positioning of Widgets. It's a page now. I hope we still have the option to pull it down over the desktop, as well.

EDIT: I foresee a touchscreen Mac in Apples future.. It seems like the next logical step :tongue:

Looks awesome. Mission control looks like a great improvement over exposé and launchpad looks awesome as well. The app store should bring a lot of cool new programs to Mac OS which will be very interesting.

Also the new MacBook Air looks good. Starts at $999 now and looks like it's been greatly improved with the new hardware.

Looks awesome. Mission control looks like a great improvement over exposé and launchpad looks awesome as well. The app store should bring a lot of cool new programs to Mac OS which will be very interesting.

Also the new MacBook Air looks good. Starts at $999 now and looks like it's been greatly improved with the new hardware.

And two whole gigabytes of memory! Gasp. What a steal at 999. :p

I like the new MBA. The only thing I'd change about the physical design is the screen bezel. I'd like it black like the MBP :tongue:

Thing is, because it's proprietary hardware the software is tailored to it. Meaning for everyday operation you don't need as much grunt. But still yeah, more horsepower would be nice

Thing is, because it's proprietary hardware the software is tailored to it. Meaning for everyday operation you don't need as much grunt. But still yeah, more horsepower would be nice

Yeah - I heard that one before too. Why is it that the Macs we have at work boot and operate at comparable speeds as my Linux laptop, desktop/file server and our Win 7 machines? "Tailored" hardware/software should = faster responses, which have yet to be exhibited in my experience.

4gb RAM and an updated proc would make that MBA sell like a banshee. 2gb and a C2D of that speed is very uh.. I mean I guess if you have the money to burn and need a netbook-ish laptop with some more juice it's an attractive price.

I don't know - if I'm dropping a grand on a laptop, it better be pretty future proof. That entry lvl MBA doesn't scream that in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom