MAC newbie, need some questions answered

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewrockshard

Baseband Member
I have put alot of thought into it, and im still a huge windows fan. so what i was going to do is use windows xp on my laptop for working and using my desktop as a MAC system. i only have a few questions.

first off, i have an AMD64 2200+, is it compatible?

second, is there something i need to get to be "mac" compatible as in...additional hardware, or is it just a matter of haviing the drivers?

i guess thats all, i just need to know if i am able to buy the software and run it or do i have to totally get a mac machine. ive heard you dont have to get a bunch of hardware, and you certainly wouldnt have to buy a mac, but seriously i really want to know if i can do this without buying a mac.

Thanks again, in advance.

drewrockshard said:
I have put alot of thought into it, and im still a huge windows fan. so what i was going to do is use windows xp on my laptop for working and using my desktop as a MAC system. i only have a few questions.

first off, i have an AMD64 2200+, is it compatible?

second, is there something i need to get to be "mac" compatible as in...additional hardware, or is it just a matter of haviing the drivers?

i guess thats all, i just need to know if i am able to buy the software and run it or do i have to totally get a mac machine. ive heard you dont have to get a bunch of hardware, and you certainly wouldnt have to buy a mac, but seriously i really want to know if i can do this without buying a mac.

Thanks again, in advance.
[/QUOTE

1) No.
2) You need a Mac computer in order to use the Mac OS for the time being.

To use the Mac OS, you must buy a totally new machine. Unfortunately, at the moment, there is no complete way around it. Apple should be releasing Intel based Macs in about a year or so, but as far as right now, the Mac OS is PowerPC only.

You're the person Apple brought out the Mac Mini for -- XP user who wants to experiment with Mac. US$499 (plus you'll want to add some RAM) gets a Mac Mini, OSX Tiger, and the iLife software bundle. You can use your existing monitor, mouse and keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom