mac mini or powermac g5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spritz2523

Solid State Member
i know everyone will send me threats if i dont get the g5, but just hear me out. heres what im looking at:

Mac Mini
1 gig ddr sdram
80 gig ATA ultra drive
4x superdrive
Internal Bluetooth and Airport Extreme
wired keyboard and mightymouse
1.42 ghz G4
$952.00

PowerMac
1 gig ddr sdram
Dual 2 ghz G5
160 gig Serial ATA- 7200 RPM
ATI Raedon 9600 w/128 meg ddr sdram
Airport Extreme
16x superdrive
wired keyboard and wired mouse
$2,178.00

Big difference is specs and price, but my problem is timing. in the wakes of porting over to intel do i get a mini, wait it out and get a powermac when everything is finished and calm. Or, do I just f*ck it all and get the power mac now. It won't be obsolete for a good long time but thats not what im worried about. Money is kind of an issue but if i get the powermac i wont get a new display. I already have a brand new ibook G4 that i'm using for school, but i want a machine i can just use for all the goodies that the feds dont want me to use ;). the minis hd is not as large as id hoped but i could always get an external firewire. Most probably going with the mini, but any insight is welcome.

Interesting dilemma...not sure how I would approach that...

Something you should consider is that the high-end Macs (such as the Powermacs) are going to be the last thing to be converted to Intel and may not be available until 2007.

Also, keep in mind that unless your iBook has less RAM than your proposed Mini, the Mini will probably be comparable in performance to the laptop, while the G5 should be noticably speedier.

Hard choose you must make. I would get the Mac Mini its a great pc for know and everything and if you really want to get that intel mac. Get the mac mini its badass and small:D. Wait and get the intelMac

Well, if you know for sure that you want an Intel Mac, get the Mini now so you won't be daunted by the Intel Mac's price. But, if you would rather have performance, get the G5 because Qiranworms is right. They won't switch the PowerMacs until MUCH later. Eitherway, you'll be getting Tiger, and thats what really matters :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom