Mac & limewire

Status
Not open for further replies.

asilva1818

Beta member
So from what I hear from everyone that MAC is so safe but is it safe enough to install limewire? Will Limewire slow down my MAC or cause any problems? With all the viruses and spyware? THANKS!!

Mac's are not "totally safe". There is a growing number of spyware/viruses for Macs, and Apple is still trying to tout their "we're so safe we don't need an antivirus" campaign.

So from what I hear from everyone that MAC is so safe but is it safe enough to install limewire? Will Limewire slow down my MAC or cause any problems? With all the viruses and spyware? THANKS!!

Yes it will end up ****ing you over, here is why:

Apples cost to much for what they are which is a intel based PC running a form of BSD, while exploits and malware area raire they are growing numbers, Apple got to cocky and have attracted a lot of attention from it, the only reason we don't hear about malware on the mac is because sew few mac users run a anti virus solution so we get verry little accurate numbers. Apple is also slow as **** about fixing known security holes and react badly when people practice responsible disclosure of security related bugs.

I agree with the messages above, that just because you don't hear about MAC's being attacked does NOT mean that they are not open to attack. However, I don't think that it will **** you over to download limewire. I currently have both Limewire and Vuze (used to be Azures) on my MacBook. Have had it for 2 years now. I don't have any issues. Just like using it on a Windows based system, you are going to put yourself at risk with what you download. So you need to be very careful on how you use the programs. :happy:

I don't think anyone should run limewire, period. I don't care what OS you are using.

By the way, get an antivirus for your mac. I use CalmXav.

I've had Limewire on my Mac Mini since I got it almost 3 years ago with no problems. Of course I also had Limewire on my PC back when I had that too with no problems. The biggest component for any security is the intelligence of the user.

if you search for a song and the results are only 16kb - then it's a virus/malware!

I don't know if Limewire or any of the other P2P apps ever fixed the port-holes problem, but really, open ports is only a problem if you are under constant threat of active attacks.

The majority of virus/malware is passive and relies on stupidity to be spread around.

I actually had a conversation with a web technology person (who is now my webmaster) about how viruses/malware kind of fell off. In the beginning it was highly creative because it was so easy to do so many things. But with improved system and application level security - there is a great limitation as to what can get on a system. It seems that most malware comes from canned applications now, which is disappointing in some respects.

The sophistication of malware has become polarized with your garden variety "junk" which can easily be cleaned by free applications or the super sophisticated things like Conficker.

However, Limewire "broke" for a long time (some update from them) so I started buying music from Mp3Panda.com for $.20 / song. Their forerunner charged only $.10 per song for most songs so for my initial $20 I got about 200 songs completely legally and in very high quality.

Limewire is still junk, no matter the intelligence of the user. Sure, it doesn't help to have maybe 3 brain cells scraping together, but it doesn't matter if something looks legit or not, it can still have viruses embedded in it.

Limewire is still junk, no matter the intelligence of the user. Sure, it doesn't help to have maybe 3 brain cells scraping together, but it doesn't matter if something looks legit or not, it can still have viruses embedded in it.

That's true, i had a lot of songs try to open iTunes upon completion - no idea what they tried to do. I just converted them to a different format, which I guess scraped off whatever virus/whatever was attached to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom