mac g3!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i thought that OS9 wasnt that different from OSX? just without the extra bits?

maybe I should be trying to get hold of OSX then?

the architects i worked with used both PC and mac. PC for the CAD side of things, and mac for all the photoshopping.

i use linux/windows

windows for autocad (i know... its horrible, especially when i have to sit at a windows computer all day long, but **** i get paid good so who cares, right?) and linux for k-3d and the gimp

i dont think that speed G3 is supported by 10.4 or better. my freind has a G3 PBook lombard and it dosent but its 233mhz. im working on getting a beige G3 gossamer type, any suggestions on software for it? some one removed the cd drive which sucks but i have an old external cd-rw drive i can use.

joshd said:
i thought that OS9 wasnt that different from OSX? just without the extra bits?

maybe I should be trying to get hold of OSX then?
OS 9 and OS X are entirely different. OS X is a different family of operating systems; it's a *nix, based on BSD. Its precursor wasn't really the older Mac OS', it was NeXTSTEP. You can use Google or the Wikipedia to learn more about all of that.

OS X doesn't even run previous Mac OS applications. To ease the transition, they had a "Classic Mode" which I think was a sort of compatibility layer for OS 9 and older. OS X does not run "Classic" apps anymore. In a sense, this Intel thing is the second major transition Apple has done this decade. OS 9 to OS X was a lot harder than PPC to x86 seems to be though, largely thanks to Rosetta, which is pretty transparent, albeit slow.

Anyway, I'd run OS X if you can, and if it runs at a usable speed. Thing with OS X in its beginning, it wasn't exactly polished to start off. 10.0 seemed like a really nice-looking beta. 10.1 improved a lot of issues, but I still didn't think it was that great. 10.2 a year later changed a lot though; I feel that was the first release of OS X that was really a good operating system. 10.3, a year later again, brought a lot of needed speed improvements. Anyway, you can read a much more detailed history or OS X here (Wikipedia).

the architects i worked with used both PC and mac. PC for the CAD side of things, and mac for all the photoshopping.
If it turns out you like OS X, you'd definitely appreciate virtualization on the Intel Macs if you ever get such a machine sometime in the future. Run Windows (with AutoCAD) contained in a window on your OS X desktop. Full speed and access to hardware, taxing on the available RAM (obviously) more than anything else.

the general said:
i use linux/windows

windows for autocad (i know... its horrible, especially when i have to sit at a windows computer all day long, but **** i get paid good so who cares, right?) and linux for k-3d and the gimp

no but there are open source alternatives

sometimes i use QCAD for linux, its pretty nice, but not as nice as autocad. i hope autodesk releases autocad for unix/linux ...i would buy the new version if they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom