mac g3!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshd

Fully Optimized
i have just been given a mac g3, the beige tower one.

the person who gave it to me lost the OS9 disc that came with it. where can i get one? they dont seem to be for sale anywhere. or anyone have a copy they dont want that they can send me?

would OSX run on it? i think it is the 266Mhz with 256MB ram.

Up to 10.2 natively, and 10.3 and 10.4 would run on it if you installed XPostFacto (google it, it'll tell you all you need to know). However, I would not recommend anything past OS X 10.1 on that until you get some more RAM.

And no, I don't really know anywhere you could get a cheap copy, save eBay.

I thought Panther (10.3) tended to run faster...even on older hardware.

Thing with 10.1 (as I recall) was that it still felt like a very polished beta. Of course, you did get the hardware at no cost, so it should be all good.

Qiranworms said:
I thought Panther (10.3) tended to run faster...even on older hardware.

Thing with 10.1 (as I recall) was that it still felt like a very polished beta. Of course, you did get the hardware at no cost, so it should be all good.
Not in my experience, no. On some machines, especially the ones with rather good video cards, it does, but probably not that one.

it has integraded video. (and a crazily big video editing card)

oh, also, what is the minimum recommended PSU wattage for them? i have it running off a 150W at the moment.

you could try XP Professsional on it...it would be pretty sweet.

But that PSU is just....sad...
pretty good for free tho.

lol, it is from an old P3 system.

yay! my friend found the OS9 disc. goodly good.

macdude425 said:
Not in my experience, no. On some machines, especially the ones with rather good video cards, it does, but probably not that one.
Makes sense. I just remember seeing some G3 iMacs upgraded from Jaguar to Panther and having a very notable speed increase. No change in hardware. I suppose if you go further back than those machines (such as the machine he just aquired) that no longer applies.

talldude123 said:
you could try XP Professsional on it...it would be pretty sweet.

But that PSU is just....sad...
pretty good for free tho.

i didnt know microsoft released a version of XP for mac g3s

when did they do this?

ps 700 posts w00t

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom