The long debate gets a bit more exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

mac_mogul

The Original Mac User
Well, it used to be that Macs were never REALLY better than PC's. The only thing Apple really had going for them was their software.
I remember arguing for hourse about mac vs. pc when I never really held any valid points other than the fact that OS X was infinitely better than Windows.

But now, with the introduction of the Intel Macs and (more specifically) the 24" iMac, the whole Mac vs. PC thing seems a bit more exciting. Both sides of the debate are now using the same hardware and Macs can now run Windows natively...
A bit of a 'switch' from a few years ago eh?

PLEASE NOTE: If you come in here and say "BLARG BLARG I CAN BUILD A BETTAR PC FOR 500 DOLLURZ!" I will cut you.
This isn't about building, its about buying out-of-the-box computers.

So, call it boredom (or whatever you like) but I decided to go shopping.
First I picked out a shiny new 24" iMac.
-2.33ghz Core2 Duo 64 bit processor
-3gb 667mhz DDR2 SDRAM
-256mb DDR3 nVidia GeForce 7600GT
-500gb SATA HD
-Wireless Keyboard and mighty-mouse
-built-in iSight and FrontRow remote
-3 yr AppleCare plan (1 yr warranty 3yr service)
it comes with
-OS X, iLife 06, Front Row, etc...
-8x SuperDrive
-AirPort Extreme
-Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
-24" Widescreen LCD

At the checkout counter I paid around...
$3,553.00
Wow, thats quite a chunk. But I gotta have the best of the best.

So, lets keep shopping shall we?

Lets pick out a Dell to compliment our iMac hmm?
I didn't want the Dell to be TOO different from my iMac, so here goes:
-Dell XPS 410 (top of the line mid-range desktop computer, like the iMac.)
-2.66ghz Core2 Duo processor (doesn't really advertise if its 64-bit or not...)
-4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 4 DIMMs
-DataSafe 500GB (Includes main hard drive plus a hidden reserve hard drive)
-Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
-24 inch UltraSharp™ 2407FPW Widescreen Digital Flat Panel
-256MB nVidia GeForce 7900 GS
-LOGITECH MX 3000 Laser Mouse/Keyboard Combo
-Logitech QuickCam Orbit MP Web Camera
-Remote Control
-IEEE 1394 Adapter
-Genuine Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition with re-installation C
-Umm, I didn't see it anywhere, but I assume I'm getting built-in wireless G and bluetooth?

Unfortunately, Dell doesn't have any cool stuff like iLife, but the next best thing would be the Dell Recommended Software bundles right? Right!
-Microsoft Office Small Business Ed.- Basic plus PowerPoint and Publisher
-PC-cillin Internet Security with AntiVirus and Spyware removal 36-months
-Deluxe pack- Music & photo: Corel Photo Album, MusicMatch Plus, Game
-Quicken 2006 Deluxe with WillMaker Plus

Oh, and I wanted an extended warranty program too!
-SAVE $50 with Dell Gift Card 4Yr Ltd Warr,At-Home Srvc + Nights and Weekend
-Dell On Call 13 month includes 30 Day Unlimited +1 Yr 5 Incidents

Okay, I think thats it. I wouldn't know for sure since it took me approx 25 minutes to configure this and there's so many pages of things I could add on, I could go on for hours!
But I think I ended up spending around...
$4,386

Uh oh, wait a minute!
Aren't Macs supposed to be more expensive than PC's?
Hmm, lets analyze this for a moment.

iMac is in BOLD--Dell is in ITALICS
2.33ghz--2.66ghz Dell has small advantage so i pay more for a little more speed
3gb RAM--4gb RAM Dell has advantage so i pay more for an extra gig of RAM that I will never need. *Dell has no 3gb option :confused:
7600GT--7900GS Dell has small advantage so I pay more for a slightly better GPU
500gb SATA--500gb SATA Systems are equal Hope I didn't pay more just for this...*Dell offers a RAID setup, but the iMac doesn't. Just trying to keep it fair.
Wireless key/mouse--Wireless Key/mouse Systems are equal *Dell does not offer their own hardware, they use LOGITECH
24 watt stereo speakers *built-in--30 watt 2.1 external speakers Dell has small advantage Except for all those darn wires that the 2.1 system presents. The A/C adaptor uses a box plug, so it takes up even more space.
24" widescreen LCD *Built-in--24" Widescreen LCD *external Systems are equal What? more cords!? Are all these cords costing me extra or something?
iSight *built-in--Logitech quick-cam *external Systems equal Again with the cords... And the iSight is better quality, too
FrontRow remote *Included in price--DELL remote *costs extra Equal Systems This DELL remote has a billion buttons on it! Its huge! The iMac's remote is simple, small, and it clings to the side of the iMac for easy storage
built-in wireless *AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0+EDR--Is it included? I don't see where it says anything about it... Systems are equal? I think? Dell does a poor job of telling you if its included or not.
8x SuperDrive--16x 'SuperDrive equivilant' Advantage Dell *Dell offers two drives, but then I wouldn't really be able to compare that to the iMac, and it would've just boosted the Dell's price anyway.
FireWire 400/800 *built-in--Extra cost for FW400 adaptor, no FW800 compatibility Advantage Apple So, I can't use any FW800 peripherals?*Dell doesn't even call it FireWire. Its IEEE 1394. Say that three times fast.
OS X--Win Media XP Advantage Apple. Seriously, its no contest. Between the two, Windows is just a piece of trash compared to OS X.
iLife '06 and included OSX software--Dell recommended software bundles Advantage Apple. Again, its no contest.
AppleCare--"DellCare" Advantage: Hard to tell. They're pretty similar. Apple's paln is all-inclusive, but only carries a 1 yr warranty with 3 yrs of service. Dell offers a longer warranty, but only offers 13 months of service. So, this is undecided.

I think that about covers it, and THANK YOU if you actually bothered to read it all.
In my opinion, the iMac may not necessarily be a better buy, but it certainly saves you ALOT of trouble. I mean, DELL even offers a setup cost to have a 'professional' come set up the computer for you. The iMac only requires that you take it out of the box, plug it in, and turn it on.
But as far as the "Macs are too costly" argument goes, this pretty much busts that wide open. At this point, comparing prices can actually get down to dollars and cents in comparison depending on your configuration.

Reason for choosing these computers:
I chose these particular computers because the MacPro is extremely pricy when fully-equipped and Dell (amongst other companies) aren't going to be able to compete with the MacPro's professional level configurations.
The 24" iMac is Apple's top of the line, mid-range computer
As is the Dell XPS 410. Its the top-end of their mid-range.
Dells get better than the XPS 410, but Macs can get better than the iMac, so these were approximately similar systems.

All in all, I think the iMac wins. One box. Three pieces. Everything you need, nothing you don't. It might cost a few bucks more for hardware you might pay less for in a DELL(or whatever) but I think the design and features are well-worth the extra pennies.

Now, I'm not gonna say that Apple would always win against PC's. The MacPro is going to cost WAY more than any similarly equipped PC on any given day (even if the MacPro is infinitely better :p Its still expensive)

[/boredom]:)

macdude425 said:
I COULD BUILD TEH U83R PC WITH THAT MUCH $$!1!

Couldn't help it.

Well, looks like Dell is beat by Apple on more than one front now.

Yep.

And I guess I should explain why I chose Dell for this.

Dell is the closest related manufacturer to Apple.
HP is good and so is IBM, but they don't really have the kind of clout that Apple and Dell have.

When you think of buying a PC, you automatically think of a DELL, and the same goes for Macs (obviously):)

OMG YOU GOT A 24" IMAC!?! I HATE YOU!!

:mad: So jealous :(

PS: Now we can have Tech-on-iChatAV for those who have webcams (like me! :p)

Really, I just want to try it, never used it, cause I don't know anyone else with a Mac and webcam. :p

The General said:
OMG YOU GOT A 24" IMAC!?! I HATE YOU!!

:mad: So jealous :(

PS: Now we can have Tech-on-iChatAV for those who have webcams (like me! :p)

Really, I just want to try it, never used it, cause I don't know anyone else with a Mac and webcam. :p

No no, i didn't buy it.
I was being hypothetical for a comparison.
HOWEVER
IN the spring, I WILL order a 24" iMac because thats what I want. I just want to wait until Leopard comes out

But paying cheap for a computer and putting it together is the plus of buying a Windows computer... I could overpay for a pre made Dell, but they suck... You can AT LEAST pay 2000 less for that Dell and get a better buy, which is making this seem pretty lopsided.

Out of the box, sure, you can get a better Mac than Windows(at least DELL) computer... but the idea of me spending 2000 dollars extra on a Windows computer when I don't have to is dumb ;\

I liked it. Well put-together, and very convincing read. I want to try a Mac, but there's three things stopping me. 1) Games. Mac can't run every game out there (although i'm sure the number is increasing). 2) I hate the OS X layout. This is a minor point, because i'm sure there are different visual themes, or at least workarounds. 3) Money. I don't have enough money to buy either a Mac or a PC. I'm 16, and unemployed, so go figure. :p

Honestly, i feel this read was so well put-together, that you could convince people to switch to Mac, based soley on cost. Of course, to make it a full debate-type article, you'd have to use more points than cost, but knowing that with Windows you have to buy A LOT of expensive software, i'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to do.

Snake-Eyes said:
1) Games. Mac can't run every game out there (although i'm sure the number is increasing). 2) I hate the OS X layout. This is a minor point, because i'm sure there are different visual themes, or at least workarounds. 3) Money. I don't have enough money to buy either a Mac or a PC. I'm 16, and unemployed, so go figure. :p
1. http://apple.com/macosx/bootcamp
2. ...why?
3. Well, can't argue with that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom