Kernel Panic every 2-3 days on C2D Macbook--Apple says nothing wrong with it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cunjo

Daemon Poster
kernelpaniclb5.jpg

I'm getting this every 2-3 days of uptime. It happens randomly. It could be working online, it could be doing nothing. usually it's doing something idle, such as the screensaver, because I'm away from it more often than not throughout the day.

The error report always indicates a failed memory allocation call. The offending process is always different though, seemingly random... been everything from the kernel, to x-chat, to geektool.

I've taken it to apple on three separate occasions regarding this, and they haven't been any help. They say everything checks out, not overheating, etc... I call bollocks, because I know the core temp gets above 103C under load, according to both iStat in Leopard and CoreTemp in Windows (bootcamp).

Is there an onboard memory diagnostic in the EFI, or should I be using a utility like memtest86?

kernelpaniclb5.jpg

I'm getting this every 2-3 days of uptime. It happens randomly. It could be working online, it could be doing nothing. usually it's doing something idle, such as the screensaver, because I'm away from it more often than not throughout the day.

The error report always indicates a failed memory allocation call. The offending process is always different though, seemingly random... been everything from the kernel, to x-chat, to geektool.

I've taken it to apple on three separate occasions regarding this, and they haven't been any help. They say everything checks out, not overheating, etc... I call bollocks, because I know the core temp gets above 103C under load, according to both iStat in Leopard and CoreTemp in Windows (bootcamp).

In my many years as an OS X administrator, Kernel Panics are always hardware related. The software almost never is the reason (or at least of the 5 kernel panics I personally had and the maybe 10 I've dealt with on my lab machines, its always been hardware)
It could be a lot of things, your memory banks could be bad (happened on my Powerbook, yes I know its an Intel machine, but never rule out even the most improbable without testing it!) It could be just your motherboard (sorry "Logic Board"), Ive seen some MacBooks really have issues.

Hopefully you have AppleCare :-D

The MacBook discs probably don't have much for diagnostics (unless you just want to run a Disk Repair in Disk Utility), if you bought AppleCare they used to ship a copy of TechTool Deluxe on DVD with it, if you don't have it then see if you can get a free copy (legally) or something.

Let me know if I can help anymore

Dr. House.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom