iPhone 5 bricked - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Apple and Mac
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2016, 05:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via Skype™ to Zekester2015
Exclamation iPhone 5 bricked

I have an iPhone 5, which recently has been acting up a bit these past few days. The battery icon stopped working no matter what I did (even tried restoring the iOS). It'd restart itself randomly. But today, I was texting a friend, and it restarted itself. Only this time it keep looping the reboot. It'd show the apple logo, and then restart, going back to that screen. I put it into my iTunes, to try to restore it. Mid-restore, the iPhone restarted. Now the iOS is fried. It boots up only into recovery mode. I've tried to restore it many times today. But the iPhone keeps restarting, and iTunes spits out "Error 9" at me. I've looked up the error code, basically means the connection was cut off. Probably because the damn iPhone restarted... I've contacted my dad via iMessage, on my iPhone 4S (carrier locked iPhone 4S, as Sprint is bull****. (the previous carrier we used)). He hasn't given a reply yet. I have a backup on my PC from yesterday, from when I was trying to solve the battery problem, so most of my data is intact on my HDD.

How can I fix this? I'm out of ideas...

Old 06-13-2016, 07:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: iPhone 5 bricked

You could try installing a new battery, they're cheap too - I can get one for $17AUD here so I can only imagine they'd be even cheaper in the US. Changing the battery is one of the easiest things to do as well

Up to step 12 is really all you need to do, dw about detaching the screen - just don't be clumsy and snap the cables https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+...lacement/10587

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Do you think that'd fix the phone restarting, while it's restoring??
Old 06-13-2016, 07:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Well a dodgy battery could be the reason it keeps restarting itself, which yeah would cause the restore to fail. Seeing as it's so cheap I guess there's no reason to not try it. And judging by the early symptoms, really sounds like the battery was starting to fail.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 06-13-2016, 07:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

I'll have to see if I can get a kit or something to try to replace it.... I don't have any of that yet...
Old 06-13-2016, 07:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Little expensive but here's one. https://www.ifixit.com/Store/iPhone/...ry/IF118-001-2

To be honest, the only things you need are
1x suction cup
1x pentalobe screwdriver (check the screws on the bottom of your phone, they might even be standard phillips heads if you're lucky, in which case don't even need this)
1x phillips head screw driver

You can buy a set for $1 off ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-in-1-Univ...YAAOSwPcVVwyn0 or just go to an electronics shop and I'm sure they'll stock em
Old 08-28-2017, 09:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I have heard that there are many problems with the iPhone5. My dad had one, and all of a sudden one day about after a year that he had it, the camera just ****ed itself, and stopped working. I suggest that you take it into apple, and tell them that it just started acting up, and upon trying to reset it, it just got stuck in a bootloop. I hate that this happened to you, and I think apple should just replace it, as there were many hardware issues with the iPhone5.

K!llP0t is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple, bricked, ios, iphone