iPhone 5 bricked

Zekester2097

In Runtime
I have an iPhone 5, which recently has been acting up a bit these past few days. The battery icon stopped working no matter what I did (even tried restoring the iOS). It'd restart itself randomly. But today, I was texting a friend, and it restarted itself. Only this time it keep looping the reboot. It'd show the apple logo, and then restart, going back to that screen. I put it into my iTunes, to try to restore it. Mid-restore, the iPhone restarted. Now the iOS is fried. It boots up only into recovery mode. I've tried to restore it many times today. But the iPhone keeps restarting, and iTunes spits out "Error 9" at me. I've looked up the error code, basically means the connection was cut off. Probably because the damn iPhone restarted... I've contacted my dad via iMessage, on my iPhone 4S (carrier locked iPhone 4S, as Sprint is bull****. (the previous carrier we used)). He hasn't given a reply yet. I have a backup on my PC from yesterday, from when I was trying to solve the battery problem, so most of my data is intact on my HDD.

How can I fix this? I'm out of ideas...

Last edited:
Well a dodgy battery could be the reason it keeps restarting itself, which yeah would cause the restore to fail. Seeing as it's so cheap I guess there's no reason to not try it. And judging by the early symptoms, really sounds like the battery was starting to fail.

Little expensive but here's one. https://www.ifixit.com/Store/iPhone/iPhone-5-Replacement-Battery/IF118-001-2

To be honest, the only things you need are
1x suction cup
1x pentalobe screwdriver (check the screws on the bottom of your phone, they might even be standard phillips heads if you're lucky, in which case don't even need this)
1x phillips head screw driver

You can buy a set for $1 off ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-in-1-Uni...461450?hash=item27fe04f1ca:g:ADYAAOSwPcVVwyn0 or just go to an electronics shop and I'm sure they'll stock em

Last edited:
I have heard that there are many problems with the iPhone5. My dad had one, and all of a sudden one day about after a year that he had it, the camera just ****ed itself, and stopped working. I suggest that you take it into apple, and tell them that it just started acting up, and upon trying to reset it, it just got stuck in a bootloop. I hate that this happened to you, and I think apple should just replace it, as there were many hardware issues with the iPhone5.

I have heard that there are many problems with the iPhone5. My dad had one, and all of a sudden one day about after a year that he had it, the camera just ****ed itself, and stopped working. I suggest that you take it into apple, and tell them that it just started acting up, and upon trying to reset it, it just got iPhone stuck in a bootloop. I hate that this happened to you, and I think apple should just replace it, as there were many hardware issues with the iPhone5.

Yes, if under warranty the best option is to take it to apple.
ifixit mainly tell this tricks, but force factory still bricked

Press the Power and Home buttons together. Connect the device to your computer but leave the Home button pressed and release the power button only. When you see the flashing iTunes or USB cable logo on the screen, only the home screen button is released.

I have heard that there are many problems with the iPhone5. My dad had one, and all of a sudden one day about after a year that he had it, the camera just ****ed itself, and stopped working. I suggest that you take it into apple, and tell them that it just started acting up, and upon trying to reset it, it just got stuck in a bootloop. I hate that this happened to you, and I think apple should just replace it, as there were many hardware issues with the iPhone5.
That's what I would do before anything else. Sure, replacing the battery could help, but you want to use Apple Support first. That's what they're for :) good luck!

Back
Top Bottom