iPhone 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well like i just said, i have used plenty of phones, and the RESPONSIVENESS of the iphones touch screen is the best, and by a fair margin. I don't care about larger screens etc, its a phone, not a ipad. As well this does not apply to my iphone, but the iphone 4 has the highest pixel density of any phone availible ATM, so i can assure you it has one of the best, if not the best appearance crispness wise.

If we are picking randon specs about displays to justify their superiority then the Droid Incredible clearly has the best display since it's OLED screen's contrast is effectively infinite. :p

Well like i just said, i have used plenty of phones, and the RESPONSIVENESS of the iphones touch screen is the best, and by a fair margin. I don't care about larger screens etc, its a phone, not a ipad. As well this does not apply to my iphone, but the iphone 4 has the highest pixel density of any phone availible ATM, so i can assure you it has one of the best, if not the best appearance crispness wise.

Only a fiar margin when you get into timing it in a clinic environment and crunch the numbers. In the real world none of these phones are sluggish. Heck my Samsung P3 mp3 player has a much less sophisticated touch system and it's no slouch either. I call nitpicking.

dont pick out one thing of a group of points and only mention that, the simplicity as in low profile, and few buttons, the shape of the design, the simplicity of the menus, just because i made a point that you dont like doesn't mean you ignore it.

I didn't ignore it. You said design of the iPhone (hardware) not iOS(software). if you want to talk about it then bring it up. As far as design software wise you haven't used Sense have you? iOS is really obnoxious with it's notification system as well. It isn't perfect.

I am not a fanboy by any means of any brand or piece of hardware. I have personally used the android appstore, and i like the apple app store better, there seems to just be better things in it. So again, don;t just put your personal opinion to fit everyone. You like the android app store just as well. I don't, just because our opinions don't match doesn't mean one of them is wrong, it is immature and down right arrogant to think other wise.

Thinking your own opinions are the best is what makes them opinions mate. Otherwise people wouldn't disagree and try to persuade people. And i say again, the android app store isn't bad, in fact it's very good, and it's no reason to decide which phone to get. More important things would be plans, features and pricing. Not how pretty the app store interface is.

I had the chance to extensively test the Palm Pre. My friend has one, and when i was deciding on a new phone to get after my black berry got water damaged i borrowed his for a few days to test it out. My personal preference is IOS over the Webos that is on the pre. So surprise surprise yet again, you opinion is not global.

Not my opinion, that's the opinion of most mobile tech journalists. look it up. WeBos has been praised for it's cohesion and intuition. it makes sense though. Palm has been making handleds since the 90's. And for what it's worth, most people do rate their opinion's higher than yours.

Anyway, i have no desire to argue with you (could have been a debate, but i guess you never want those. Rest assured that the tech savvy people that own an iphone have reasons, and are by far not tools. Perhaps the people that only get one because of the hype, advertising, and the "hipness" about having an iphone are.

I really like how passive aggressive you are being, and you are calling me the argumentative one. I obviously hit a nerve here and AI think that validates my points.

I'll cut it down in simple and descriptive means so there are no semantics being argued.

Is there any particular facet of the iPhone or iOS that is head and shoulders above android and is universally considered by the experts to be a "killer app". By killer app I mean feature hardware or software that the competition have no counter too, and on it's own is rational justification for a purchase.

I can think of a killer app for android. The mod-ability. can you overclock an iPhone? You can to an android. You can also install different roms, use whatever ide you want to develop software for it, and can have root access. The iphone can't, droid does. (see what I did there?)

If we are picking randon specs about displays to justify their superiority then the Droid Inedible clearly has the best display since it's OLED screen's contrast is effectively infinite. :p

It's also worth noting that pixel density changes nothing. When you try to out spec someone you want to improve on something that is noticeable and makes a big difference. None of the iPhones competitors are low res, and nobody complained about pixel density before the iPhone 4 was released. The specs that actually matter are; contrast, brightness, response time and color sharpness. Check Newegg for monitors. Under specs look for pixel density, you can't find it. Why? nobody cares. A screen for any given size has one or two standard resolutions available. These resolutions are picked for several reasons, cost, ease of viewing, sharpness and screen reliability. Nobody made one like the iPhone's because it wasn't an issue. Apple also severely messed with the screen's reliability with this as well.

If we are picking randon specs about displays to justify their superiority then the Droid Incredible clearly has the best display since it's OLED screen's contrast is effectively infinite.
ya the incredible is quite nice. If i did not already have a phone, then that would have been the phone i would have gotten.

not nitpicking on the screen at all, i found it clearly more responsive.

I didn't ignore it. You said design of the iPhone (hardware) not iOS(software). if you want to talk about it then bring it up. As far as design software wise you haven't used Sense have you? iOS is really obnoxious with it's notification system as well. It isn't perfect.
Reread my post mate, i did mention the look of the os. Also, nothing is perfect. I would never claim something to be perfect, which is why i have never given a 10/10 on a review of anything.
Thinking your own opinions are the best is what makes them opinions mate. Otherwise people wouldn't disagree and try to persuade people. And i say again, the android app store isn't bad, in fact it's very good, and it's no reason to decide which phone to get. More important things would be plans, features and pricing. Not how pretty the app store interface is.
Your opinion is your opinion, not everyone elses, thinking your opinion should be everyone elses is what i am talking about. As well, the app store is not a deciding factor lol, its just something i thought of, IMO i like it more then the android one.

Not my opinion, that's the opinion of most mobile tech journalists. look it up. WeBos has been praised for it's cohesion and intuition. it makes sense though. Palm has been making handleds since the 90's. And for what it's worth, most people do rate their opinion's higher than yours.
i never claimed that is was bad at all, just my preference.

I really like how passive aggressive you are being, and you are calling me the argumentative one. I obviously hit a nerve here and AI think that validates my points.

Think what you want, if your opinion is that i am being aggressive and that you hit a nerve you may continue to believe so if you wish.
Is there any particular facet of the iPhone or iOS that is head and shoulders above android and is universally considered by the experts to be a "killer app". By killer app I mean feature hardware or software that the competition have no counter too, and on it's own is rational justification for a purchase.

I can think of a killer app for android. The mod-ability. can you overclock an iPhone? You can to an android. You can also install different roms, use whatever ide you want to develop software for it, and can have root access. The iphone can't, droid does. (see what I did there?)

I just told you want i think it excells in, so where you going with this ? lol
It's also worth noting that pixel density changes nothing. When you try to out spec someone you want to improve on something that is noticeable and makes a big difference. None of the iPhones competitors are low res, and nobody complained about pixel density before the iPhone 4 was released. The specs that actually matter are; contrast, brightness, response time and color sharpness. Check Newegg for monitors. Under specs look for pixel density, you can't find it. Why? nobody cares. A screen for any given size has one or two standard resolutions available. These resolutions are picked for several reasons, cost, ease of viewing, sharpness and screen reliability. Nobody made one like the iPhone's because it wasn't an issue. Apple also severely messed with the screen's reliability with this as well.

I never say pixel density was the hole shebang. i said it has the highest pixel dense screen, which the more pixels means the clearer and crisper things are for the most part.

Did i ever say these things make the phone unique? nope. I said i like it for these reason because for me it is perfect in these areas.

I don't like to over think it. I had a 2g Iphone, my wife has a 3gs and I had to decide if I wanted to get an iphone 4 or something else. The HTC Evo 4g came out and it made up my mind for me. On the hardware side, apple likes to slowly improve things so they can maximize that upgrade. They want people upgrading every year for these little improvements they make. On the software side, they are Nazi's. I don't like dropping the coin that these phones cost and not be able to take true ownership of the device. With my Evo, it's my phone to do what I want with. Install what apps I want from where I want. Plus, it's just a plain sexy phone.

My 2 cents. Also my first post here in about 6 years..............

Call me bias or whatever, but the iPhone 4 display is sharper than the resolution used in HTC phones. I have compared it to my dads HTC HD2, and ofcourse the HTC phones screen already looks sharp which is why noone complained about it. But there is no denying that side by side, the IP4 screen is sharper. It's colors are bright and vibrant too, my only complaint is black levels could be better concidering it's an LED backlit display, especially as LG make the display, who's Infinia LED TV's have superb black levels. But there you go. I have never compared it to an AMOLED screen phone, but from what i've read they are similar with the amoled screens offering better whites.

The one thing i can say with fair confidence is the iPhone 4 has best 720p recording :) The evo 4G's is a joke, the Droid X is better but still not as good. It still pretty unusable unless you have a way to hold the phone super steady though.

The way i see it, apart from the screen Apple is rarely at the forfront of the latest technology. Instead, it vastly improves or perfects slightly-older-but-still-current technology. FaceTime for example, video calling has been around for years in Europe but it has sucked tremendously and nooned used it. FaceTime seems to of made it fairly decent though. And like Luke said, i still haven't used a phone as good a touchscreen as the iphones.

And slating iOS, well that's hardly fair. Everyone knows half of Android doesn't work and is way behind in development from where it should be. iOS and the App Store let me do everything i want to on a phone, and i think it looks better than Android too.

Call me bias or whatever, but the iPhone 4 display is sharper than the resolution used in HTC phones. I have compared it to my dads HTC HD2, and ofcourse the HTC phones screen already looks sharp which is why noone complained about it. But there is no denying that side by side, the IP4 screen is sharper. It's colors are bright and vibrant too, my only complaint is black levels could be better concidering it's an LED backlit display, especially as LG make the display, who's Infinia LED TV's have superb black levels. But there you go. I have never compared it to an AMOLED screen phone, but from what i've read they are similar with the amoled screens offering better whites.

From the video comparisons I have seen the new Super AMOLED screens on the Galxy S derivatives are vastly superior to the retina display and of course contrast will be in a whole different league since it's OLED. I haven't actually gotten a chance to do a side by side comparison but as soon as the Dell Streak is out I plan on going to a At&t store to compare it, the HTC Aria, and the Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S) so I might as well compare it to the iPhone then as well.

Stock Android isn't the best looking os I agree however nearly all of the best phones have Sense or TouchWiz which are both great looking.

I also prefer android for the simple fact that I can actually develop my own applications for it without needing approval from Lord Jobs to install them. Plus Java >>>> Objective-C.

And slating iOS, well that's hardly fair. Everyone knows half of Android doesn't work and is way behind in development from where it should be.

What important feature on Android doesn't work?

What important feature on Android doesn't work?

I havn't read up on the screen situation my self as of yet but i am sure 'vastly superior' is somewhat of an overstatement if true at all. Steve Jobs, although obviously totally bias, did himself say LED IPS technology is better than AMOLED. I doubt he would say such a bold statement if it did not have some element of truth.

What *important feature* on Android doesn't work?

What you have done here is basically admit lots of less important features don't work. Which is totally not acceptable.

I havn't read up on the screen situation my self as of yet but i am sure 'vastly superior' is somewhat of an overstatement if true at all. Steve Jobs, although obviously totally bias, did himself say LED IPS technology is better than AMOLED. I doubt he would say such a bold statement if it did not have some element of truth.

Steve Jobs opinion is irrelevant, after all the reality distortion field jokes didn't start on their own. Every video I have seen of Super AMOLED screens make them look clearly superior to any other type of display. I'm not hiding the fact that I haven't seen one in person yet but if they are 90% as good as they seem it would be enough to get me to buy a Captivate solely based off of it's display. Well that and the 1ghz Cortex A8 and PowerVR SGX 540.

What you have done here is basically admit lots of less important features don't work. Which is totally not acceptable.

Fine. Name any feature in Android, Froyo specifically, that doesn't work.

The pictures of Engadgets Galaxy S / IP4 display comparison to me seemed very similar, with only whites appearing whiter on the the Galaxy S. The colours were slightly different on each, but i wouldn't say one device had better colours than the other. Sharpness was obviously far superior on the macro shots for Ip4, however.

I don't know any features specifically, but have heard / seen numerous people/websites talk about features that should be there that arn't, or features that dont work properly or at all.

edit:

Just tried a quick search for where i saw the android complaints, will search properly for the places i saw all the android complaints in a while, a little busy at the mo :p

The pictures of Engadgets Galaxy S / IP4 display comparison to me seemed very similar, with only whites appearing whiter on the the Galaxy S. The colours were slightly different on each, but i wouldn't say one device had better colours than the other. Sharpness was obviously far superior on the macro shots for Ip4, however.

I don't know any features specifically, but have heard / seen numerous people/websites talk about features that should be there that arn't, or features that dont work properly or at all.

I agree the engadget comparison wasn't very conclusive however other ones I have seen did a better job of showcasing both displays and also tested at equivalent brightness settings.

Not having features != broken features. If lacking features was a indication of quality iOS would always be at the back of the pack. I mean it just got multitasking and it will probably never have Flash support or permit sideloading apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom