iPad 2 Unveiled

Do you want an iPad 2?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm on the fence.

• No / I'm sticking with my current generation iPad

• No, I want a Motorola Xoom (or other tablet, leave a comment!)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
owning both an iPad and an iPhone I can definitely say walking around campus browsing on the iPad is much easier. It might just be my eyesight, but it's wonderful :tongue:

By the way, my vote was the one on "No / I'm keeping my current gen"... I'm doing the same thing I did with my first generation iPod touch.. Running this iPad until it's dead, then buying the newest one when it's out. Jumped from a first gen iPod touch to an iPad and an iPhone.

I actually had the opposite experience comparing my Galaxy S to the iPad, the phone's browser was noticeably better, particularly when using pinch to zoom.

At this point the Playbook looks like the tablet to get form a price and performance standpoint. I just wish it was coming out sooner than April 10th.

I actually had the opposite experience comparing my Galaxy S to the iPad, the phone's browser was noticeably better, particularly when using pinch to zoom.

At this point the Playbook looks like the tablet to get form a price and performance standpoint. I just wish it was coming out sooner than April 10th.

How can you say that the playbook is definitely the better performer ? I take it you have seen engadgets speed demonstration. iPad 2 first hands-on! (update: even more video!) -- Engadget
And that isn't iOS4.3 with the new Javascript speed improvements.

Why is there no option for just saying 'no'?
edit: title fixed btw.

I like how there's no mention of how much RAM this thing has. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say multitasking is gonna be FTL. I found one report on Giz saying an english apple guy said there's still only 256Mb, but everyone else is saying it's 'probably' got 512Mb. Still kinda ****ty, considering a phone usually has 512Mb. You'd hope a tablet (more power, bigger screen, etc) would have more.

Why is there no option for just saying 'no'?
edit: title fixed btw.

I like how there's no mention of how much RAM this thing has. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say multitasking is gonna be FTL. I found one report on Giz saying an english apple guy said there's still only 256Mb, but everyone else is saying it's 'probably' got 512Mb. Still kinda ****ty, considering a phone usually has 512Mb. You'd hope a tablet (more power, bigger screen, etc) would have more.

Apple never talk about RAM on iOS products, you will only ever find out on March 11 when it gets torn down. I doubt the english apple guy knows.. they are just people who were gave a guided tour of the ipad2 3 hours before hand so they could show the media. I bet most of them have no clue about the internals. And anyone actually at apple in a decent position wouldn't reveal the specs.

The one thing that a guy who can be trusted said was that the 720p video recording when he tried it in iMovie found it was only 960x720.. which is still technically 720p, but wow, that is ultra lame if true. I somehow believe him, Apple seemed suspiciously quiet about the iPad 2 cameras specs.

We will have to wait until iFixIt gets their hands on one to fid out. Engadget usually reports on these things :tongue:

How can you say that the playbook is definitely the better performer ? I take it you have seen engadgets speed demonstration. iPad 2 first hands-on! (update: even more video!) -- Engadget
And that isn't iOS4.3 with the new Javascript speed improvements.

Nothing in that video changed my mind, RIM has shown the Playbook running Quake 3, a unknown OpenGL graphics demo, and a 1080p video simultaneously with no slowdowns. They also showed it simultaneously run six instances of the Quake 3 Demo at 1024x600 and 60fps each which IMO is much more impressive than smoothly flipping through a single book app or smoothly scrolling a single web page

If the iPad only has 256 or 512Mb of ram, there's no friggin way it's going to manage anything like that. Of course the bad thing is, ironically, the price of the playbook

If the iPad only has 256 or 512Mb of ram, there's no friggin way it's going to manage anything like that. Of course the bad thing is, ironically, the price of the playbook

? Last I heard the Playbook was supposed to be the same price as the iPad.

Nothing in that video changed my mind, RIM has shown the Playbook running Quake 3, a unknown OpenGL graphics demo, and a 1080p video simultaneously with no slowdowns. They also showed it simultaneously run six instances of the Quake 3 Demo at 1024x600 and 60fps each which IMO is much more impressive than smoothly flipping through a single book app or smoothly scrolling a single web page

Well they could hardly show iPad 2 optimized apps when it's been announced for about 10 minutes. iPad 2 cpu is roughly the same speed as PlayBook, and it's GPU is '9x faster' (it isn't, but it's obviously something good.. just not 9x good). I can't imagine the two devices being much different in terms of performance, can you ?

I smell something fishy about 6 instances of Quake 3 @ 60fps. They are basically saying the PlayBook can play Quake 3 at 360fps in one instance. **** off can it. My PC could barely do that, they are trying to tell me there little 1ghz dual core playbook is beating sandy bridge ? please.

When the thing releases and i see real apps made by developers running at 360fps then i'm interested. Unless of course by 6 instances they mean, 5 of them paused in saved state in ram, with one of them only being processed and rendered

? Last I heard the Playbook was supposed to be the same price as the iPad.

Huh, seems you're right. I'd heard it was going to be selling for at least $100 more than the iPad. My bad

And kman, if it can run one instance at the same time as a 1080p video and adobe (and check out how smooth the pinch zoom is still in the PDF doc) then I'm gonna say it's at least capable of 3-4 instances of just quake. It's probably optimised for the hardware and smaller screen, instead of having to cater to anything and everything like it had to do with the PC version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom