iPad 2.0 - What do you want?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know my mums school is looking at a bit of software to assist in teaching people with serious learning issues, the program will say point to the cat and will show a cat a dog and a bird then ask them to spell it etc and reward them with something. I'll see if i can find out who the developer is as I know they are really loving tablets especially the ipad.

That's comforting to know. I'm doubtful we'll buy any more iPads, but it'd be nice to put what few we have to use since they're paid for. If you have any insight with newfound info about those apps, let me know - I'd greatly appreciate it.

I guess my issue is I don't see the point of a casual media device, I want some measure of productivity and usefulness from everything including tablets. If I'm at home I would never use a tablet to watch videos since I have a HDTV for that and while a tablet would nice for browsing the internet from the couch a decent ultraportable should be able to cover that role as well. If I'm not at home I either wouldn't have a tablet with me in the first place or could have just brought a ultraportable with me instead.

The Air shouldn't be hard to use, it has a bigger screen than a iPad and if you don't want to use a touchpad you can always use a wireless mouse. You don't get the iOS app store but having access to all of the apps for OSX and/or Windows should more than make up for it. Plus even if you can't play the latest games you can still enjoy ones from a few years ago that blow away anything available for a tablet.

Laptop battery life won't be an issue as soon as the X220 is released, fully loaded it can manage close to 24 hours of battery life.

Not sure if you know what it is, but iPlayer is basically the UK's main TV station online catchup service. Anyway, i have the iPlayer app on my iPad, my PC, my dads PC, my PS3 thats linked to my projector and it's on my dads blu ray player linked up to his projector. But still, unless it's a film or a long documentry i nearly always use my iPad, especially if i'm doing something. It's just much more effort to use all of the others.

For example this weekend, i wake up on saturday morning realised i had missed my favourite soap/drama from the night before because i was too smashed out my face :p so i can start playing it on my ipad, get dressed, go to the bathroom to use the toilet and brush my teeth, then go to the kitchen to cook me up some breakfast. And during all of them tasks i can effortlessly take my ipad and hold it or prop it up somewhere. That's impossible with a PC, and pretty difficult to do with a netbook because though small they require a good 10inch square platform to sit on. Whereas my ipad or any tablet with a stand for that matter takes up about 1inch in depth, and will fit pretty much anywhere. Not only that but most netbooks have pretty bad screens with not very good viewing angles, and i have to wait for them to power up, and then i have to use the crappy trackpad to go on the browser and load up bbc.co.uk/iplayer, which is all much more effort than it should be.

I like to relax when I'm watching a movie or tv episode lol, not be going around balancing it on my arm while brushing my teeth :p I also like big HD screens, queue my projector! Sure I can't cook breakfast at the same time as watching something on it, but I can cook breakfast first then enjoy chowing down while sitting on the couch watching the latest movie on an 80" screen with surround sound. Thanks very much, I'll take that over a 10" screen anyday :grin:
However if I'm out and about and I happen to find myself with a free half hour, then I'd probably use it to watch youtube vids. Then again, I already use my phone for that. So ja not really worth carrying an iPad around for me.

I like to relax when I'm watching a movie or tv episode lol, not be going around balancing it on my arm while brushing my teeth :p I also like big HD screens, queue my projector! Sure I can't cook breakfast at the same time as watching something on it, but I can cook breakfast first then enjoy chowing down while sitting on the couch watching the latest movie on an 80" screen with surround sound. Thanks very much, I'll take that over a 10" screen anyday :grin:
However if I'm out and about and I happen to find myself with a free half hour, then I'd probably use it to watch youtube vids. Then again, I already use my phone for that. So ja not really worth carrying an iPad around for me.

Well i can one up you there with a 92inch screen ;) And yeah if it's a movie.. ofcourse i choose a PJ. But sometimes the situation is right for an ipad. I swear :)

Kinda true, though. If you could run Android on it (even if it needed hacking in), I'd get one.

My father is getting an iPad 2 64GB 3G soon (it's on order). I told him, what's the point of an iPad? My HP netbook does more, and costed half the price. iPad's are basically overpriced netbooks (with a touch screen)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom