Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your modem is plugged directly into a switch, only one machine will be able to connect to the Internet through it (95% of the time). If your modem has a router built in, that is a different story.

If you open the control panel you can use the network connections applet to inter IP address and DNS server information, but two machines cannot share the same address.

If you were to put a router between your modem and switch (most routers have 3-5 port switches built in, so your stand alone switch wouldn't really be needed) you can have both machines use DHCP to grab the information automatically. They will both be able to connect at the same time.

So, that means i cant share it without buying extra hardware. Oh well, i guess thats one thing i cant do.

Thanks for all your help.

Wayne

Sadly none of my computers has a spare ethernet port, however i might have a spare PCI card laying around. But that plan would need one computer on for the other to have internet, what i want is them to have internet access independant of each other. What my original plan was to have my modem connected to the switch, so both my computer could have internet access. Like, if i wasnt here, and my computer was off, someone could use the Mac on the net. But sadly it isnt that easy.

Wayne

This is one of those things that if i can do it without buying anything, ill do it, but if i have to pay, even $30 i wont do it because the need wont outweigh the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom