Intanet

Status
Not open for further replies.

mister_meme

Beta member
Hi all, I'm pretty new to this forum and I wanted to ask a question about my new power mac g-5.

My wife just gave me this G-5 for my christmas present and I love it, i'm not really a computer guy, but having a mac makes it fun.

My question is how does one connect to the intanet? All of my cables are hooked up according to the instructions that I recieved from Apple, but no connection.

I took the liberty of opening up my G-5, to see if there was a problem with the intanet on the giant circuit board, and I cannot find it anywhere........and this is really frustrating. Is it possible that apple forgot to install it when it was shipped out? Should I return it to the apple store for a new one?

What I did notice though, was that there where a couple of empty slots, this could be whats is cuasing the problem. As any one else come across this problem?

Thank you
Mister_meme

Well to start off, and I don't mean to sound like a jerk or anything but it's "internet" just in case you didn't know. The empty slots are for expansion cards, should you feel the need to add something in there. They are most certainly not causing the problem. I highly doubt Apple did (or even could) forget to install it, given the fact that the network card is embedded in the motherboard (the giant circuit board).

More importantly, what exactly are you getting? You plug the computer into your cable/dsl modem and open Safari (the icon on the bottom of the screen that looks like a compass) and it says you have no internet connection?

Thanks for your reply! I dont have the computer hooked up to anything, just the power and the monitor to the computer. I just dont understand why it is not connecting. Maybe my intanet was not installed in my machine.

When I opened it, i did not see any parts called intanet. Please help!

Thank you

Parts labeled intanet? What? There will be no parts labeled intanet...

1) Call and get an INTERNET account set up... I would go with cable, so call your cable provider and ask about internet packages
2) A guy/girl will come out from the cable company and set up a router for you.
3) Get an Ethernet (CAT5) cable and hook one end up to a port (place where you plug the cable in) in the router and plug the other end into a port on your computer (see links below for what an ethernet port and cable look like. It should be on the back of your computer).

http://www.tigerdirect.com/images/itemdetails/desktop-cables/ethernet-port.jpg
http://ncsudesign.org/content/images/it/walljack/plug2.gif
http://c-more.automationdirect.com/images/ethernet_port.jpg

OR 3) Get a wireless router and hook the router from the cable company up to the wireless router.

The internet is not a program that will be "installed" on your machine. It is a network that you have to connect to by paying for the service (like cable or phone service). Just like you have to hook up a TV to cable before you will get channels, you have to hook up you computer to the internet before you can get online. You can do this by following the steps above (you may need to go through additional steps if you decide to go with the wireless...).

Good luck!

mister_meme said:
Thanks for your reply! I dont have the computer hooked up to anything, just the power and the monitor to the computer. I just dont understand why it is not connecting. Maybe my intanet was not installed in my machine.

When I opened it, i did not see any parts called intanet. Please help!

Thank you

You need to hook it up, unless you plan on using wireless internet, in which case your computer probably doesn't have a wireless card.

It's spelled "internet" by the way, guess you didn't see that in my first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom