INstalling OSX on a PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

p3ngu1n

Beta member
I formatted my pc and everything and want to install OSX on it is there any way to do that?

Oh my... hope you backed up before you formatted...

But might I suggest a form of linux? It's nearly the same thing. (somewhat)

mac_mogul said:
Oh my... hope you backed up before you formatted...

But might I suggest a form of linux? It's nearly the same thing. (somewhat)

Yeah I was going to suggest Linux with Mac-on-Linux but it turns out that you still need Mac hardware (at least a PPC chip) to run it, which kind of defeats the purpose.

Nice, never heard of that. Looks good. Of course, the Mac OS on anything looks good :cool:

Actually, I'm going to consider that now when I go to build a PC...:rolleyes:

mac_mogul said:
Nice, never heard of that. Looks good. Of course, the Mac OS on anything looks good :cool:

Actually, I'm going to consider that now when I go to build a PC...:rolleyes:

You still need a PPC chip in your machine to run Mac on Linux, so thats why I said it kind of defeats the purpose of having it, especially since you can run Linux environments (KDE or GNOME window managers) through X11 directly through OSX.

what ive said many times in Mac vs PC:
you CAN'T install mac on a PC, you CAN however install Windows on a Mac - with an emulator, something Windows doesn't have so they can't run Mac, nor do I think they will ever be able to

apokalipse said:
what ive said many times in Mac vs PC:
you CAN'T install mac on a PC, you CAN however install Windows on a Mac - with an emulator, something Windows doesn't have so they can't run Mac, nor do I think they will ever be able to
What I can tell you is that Microsoft bought Virtual PC so yes Windows can run Mac OS. As a matter of fact many emulators on websites allow users to run OS 8.5 on windows. I am unfamilure with the progress of the new virtual pc developments but I am sure we can expect to see things change soon.

Now back to the question, as you were told above, nope. However as you were also advised Linux is a good choice I say Slackware. But any distro that you find easiest is good for you.

Originally posted by CrossMX
What I can tell you is that Microsoft bought Virtual PC so yes Windows can run Mac OS.

Wrong :). Microsoft bought Connectix so that they could bring Virtual PC to the x86 platform to allow for emulation mode of all of the versions of windows (and you can do Linux on there) without having to reboot such as in the case of a multiboot machine. You would still require a PPC chip to run any Mac OS (as VPC offers no support to install any Mac OS version nor does it have the ability to emulate PPC instruction sets into x86 and vice versa).

As a matter of fact many emulators on websites allow users to run OS 8.5 on windows.

Ive seen this before, or at least something like this, but you cant install nor manipulate any real files. Its kind of just there as an interface. Mind getting me a link so I can check it out again (it was interesting nonetheless)?

I am unfamilure with the progress of the new virtual pc developments but I am sure we can expect to see things change soon.

Doubtful, but we'll see.

While I still disagree I will send you some links to emulators. I have yet to test them as I saw no point of using Mac OS on a PC. I have a Mac and a PC. I only use emulation on my mac because its the only system I like enough to want to have both abilities.
I said that Microsoft bought it and that Windows can run Mac OS (OS 8 to be exact) I will show you the link I have to track it down again give me about 30 min. Now as for your information on VPC not runing on a Windows machine I will have to go back to the site I remember seeing the fact that they wanted to be able to run Mac OS on Windows now so I might come back with other information on that as well ^-^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom