Installing Mac OSX Panther

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iskander

Beta member
Hi to all....:D
I guess sombody might help me. First of all I apologize my English level and hope that you will understand me enough to be able to help me. I have an iMac G3 400 128 RAM with OS9. A friend of mine send to me a copy of OSX Panther. I made all the udates required to be able to intall it. Instalation ended successfully but after OSX asked me to restart my cumputer, it restarted but some second after the apple symbol appears it gets bloqued with two srolls in the middle of the screen. Each time I restart it, the same thing happens: it starts normally (I can hear the hardisc working), the apple's symbol appears on the screen and after 10 seconds it stops with the two scroll. My friend told to me that it is a problem of memory, I need more, but I need to be sure because memory is very expensive so I need more points of view about this problem. I will apriciate any help.
Thank you all
Iskander
;)

Well, that sounds to me like a kernel panic. While you dont really have a lot of memory in there (I suggest getting more though that is not your problem), the problem lies in the operating system and how it was installed. Do you have any means of backing up the data on your hard disk somewhere so that you can reformat (erase) the hard drive on your imac and start fresh?

I suggest reseting the PRAM (seethis and NVRAM. To do this:

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
6. Release the keys.

See if that fixes your little screen bug.

Thank you

I'll try first to restart it like you suggested to me and see want happens. Any way I really appreciate your help and I'll let you know
Sincerly
Iskander

Did you make sure you updated the firm ware first before installing OSX? older iMacs need to have the Firmware before moving to OS 10.2 I believe, if you dont you could destroy your iMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom