Inevitable Mac OS X 10.6.4 update problems surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
There are scattered reports of problems with Apple's Snow Leopard update that was released yesterday. Ah, tradition.
Over on the Apple Discussions forum, early updaters are reporting a series of troubles after upgrading to Mac OS X version 10.6.4:
•Complete installation failure.
•iTunes running on an iMac caused the UI to become unresponsive.
•A MacBook Pro lost internet access.
•Quicken Essentials for Mac 2010 is hanging, both when trying to download transactions and when assigning categories.
•Folders have disappeared from an iMac's desktop and the user can't shut down — which appears, from this end, to possibly be a hang during startup.
•Inability to use function keys to control display brightness.
•Fonts, to quote the poster, getting "f***ed up" in Firefox and font-installation problems using FontExplorer.
•Display problems with Photoshop CS 5 Extended and a Mac Pro freezing up.
•More font problems in a post entitled "10.6.4 Totally Destroys Your Fonts".
There's also one thread that details a number of problems, including system crashes, systemUIserver crashing when Spotlight is invoked, problems with iTunes and Microsoft Office, and slushy performance.
If you've ever worked on a Help Desk, you know how devilishly difficult it is to diagnose many of such problems without access to the affected machine — the problems may be due to 10.6.4, unsophisticated users, wonky extensions and third-party apps, a combination of all three, or frickin' gamma rays, for all we know.
But if you're experiencing any of the aforementioned foul-ups, keep an eye on the relevant thread. Some well-informed poster might come up with the magic bullet.

Inevitable Mac OS X 10.6.4 update problems surface ? The Register

This is why I never upgrade immediately when a new update is out. I usually wait until all the problems with the upgrade are fixed and then I upgrade. That must really suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom