iMac problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

amyamy

Beta member
Hi everyone,

I wonder if someone can help me out.Recently,my iMac
Blue G3 began to turn off by itself after 10-15 minutes.
After that,I couldn't restart it no matter how many times I pressed the start button.I have to wait until tomorrow
before it can be turned on again.

I don't know if it is because of the internal battery as
the clock isn't correct anymore.Or some other components.

I hope you guys can help me.Thanks!

Try replacing the CMOS battery (internal battery). If that doesnt work, take it to a tech. You might have a much more serious problem (failing logic board comes to mind) if the battery replacement doesnt fix it.

Ahh, another iMac. It sounds to me like you have one of the 'bad' boards. Do the battery thing, but then when you open it up, there is a small grey button called the PMU reset button. When you push it, it resets all the boards and sort-of, makes them 'think' again. However, if the problem persists, then you may have a common iMac problem. Some G3 iMacs (maybe yours) were shipped with faulty video boards. While seeming to work at first, after a while they crap out and need replacement.

One way to pinpoint this problem is to check your logic board. In a dark room, take a flashlight and point it down on your iMac's casing. On the Right side (from the back of the iMac) look at your board and see if you can find a clover shape printed on the board. If there is not a visible 'clover' and you can see a black box with red numbers in it, then it is extremely possible that you have the bad board.

Also, one of the symptoms of this problem is a shrinking screen right before the iMac shuts itself off. Does your iMac suffer from this? If so, then it is very likely your board is bad.

It's really a simple, cheap fix. First call the nearest repair shop, and get a sort of 'appointment' of when to bring in your iMac. This way you'll ensure a quick repair. Then they should be able to fix it within an afternoon.

Hope this helps :)

"Hidrollic lowering systems...."

I used to have this problem when i had my iMac 266mhz. For some reason it kept restarting for no good reason! :( So what i did was, i replaced the ram, and it never had that problem again.
I'd go with g5orbust'sisi's Idea first. If that dosn't work, you mught need to finally replace the the RAM. :( :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom