iMac Hardrive failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

overlord20

Fully Optimized
I just received a "broken" iMac g5. I plug it in and turn it on to receive a blinking folder in the middle of a gray screen with a question mark on it.

The guy I got it from said the "logic board" was bad, but after some research this blinking folder with the question mark screen leads to believe a bad HDD? Can anyone confirm?

EDIT: if this could be moved.. I lost the Mac forum so I thought it was deleted or something. Thanks and sorry. Spacey tonight.

Either one of you could be right. The blinking folder with a question mark just means it thinks it can't find an OS to boot to. Have you tried installing a copy of OSX on it yet? If you have and it didn't/doesn't work, then yeah just open up the iMac and replace the drive. If that fails, the logic board is shot.

Am I able to do this with standard PC keyboard? (Never really worked with a Mac or OSX). I feel like I am learning the PC all over again (software wise).

Yes and no. A PC keyboard will work, but the buttons are a little strange. e.g. the windows button is (I think) the command button equivalent, etc.

Okay.. I held down alt, and what came up is a refresh icon and an arrow icon. Nothing happens when I click on either.

I thought I would try ubuntu or debian but I can't get the OSX disk out :p. I was going to duel boot Debian or Ubuntu with OSX.

Is there anything above the arrow icon? No disc or anything?
I'm thinking the guy you bought it off wasn't lying, logic board could be shot

You should be able to do a force eject of the OS X Disk by holding down the main mouse button when you turn the computer on.

I'd recommend booting from the install disk and running the Apple hardware test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom