Im stuck between buying a pc and a mac, help

Status
Not open for further replies.

goca

Baseband Member
Hey guys im gonna be starting a Graphic Design degree in september and need some advice, ive only got enough money to buy this custom pc spec: 3.2 - 3.4 GHz Intel processor, 1- 2 Gig memory, and 160 Gig hard drive! which costs me £700

Or i have the option to buy a mac mini with a 1.4 GHz G4 procesor, 1 Gig memory and 160 Gig Hard drive! which will cost me £693

which one do you guys sugest would be best for Graphic Design, bearing in mind, i could squeze a few quid to upgrade the memory and hard drive on the pc?

Id say to buy the PC. While I am a Mac guy, that PC is just plain superior to the Mac mini.

g5orbust said:
Id say to buy the PC. While I am a Mac guy, that PC is just plain superior to the Mac mini.

Agreed but if you get the pc go for an amd processor insted of an intel.

I would go for the Mini because of Altivec. Most graphics programs like photoshop and fireworks etc... take advantage of Altivec on the Mac... And considering the Mini's abilities are equal to that of the deceased PowerMac G4, then I would say to go for it. The mini would also be a good choice because of its monitor situation: Use your existing monitor, or go buy a cheap/expensive one. They all work the same. :)

I have a close relative that runs a digital imagery buisness on a G4 tower with two of those big and brand new Apple LCD Cinema displays

can anyone tell me why Macs are sooooo expensive? is because no one buys on? ive always wanted to get a mac but wen i look at the price i cry... if i got to dell.com i can build a pretty sick machine for under/around 1500... and lets not even start about how expensive mac labtops are!!!

To answer Bronxblaza's question:

Well one reason Macs are so expensive is that they are far superior to PC's when it comes to digital media editing and all that graphics stuff, plus sound. Furthermore, Windows has a lot of flaws in its programs (i.e. internet explorer, Windows XP). If I had the money I would buy a Mac in a heart beat, they are just that good for the purpose goca wants them for.

Just consider this, Macs have so much finess in their product that the creators of NApolean dynamite made the movie using MACS right from their house, their budget didnt even crack 50K.

Other movies that have used MACS are George Lucas films, Ice age...the ones that come to mind.

Bascially dont get a MAC unless you are seriously going to produce multimedia stuff because $1700 is not for everyone. PC's are fantastic for the everyday person and the gamer, i dont think you need so much quality graphics when working on a word processesor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom