ibook vs powerbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRecluse

In Runtime
would it be better to get the $1500 powerbook or the $1300 ibook...

i don't know the difference between the two aside from the specs... i think i would prefer the 14 inch ibook over the 12 inch powerbook... but which would be more worth the money?

well, the 12 in powerbook is what i have, and the size of the screen isnt an issue with me, because it out performs the 14in powerbook, and i have a 19" lcd to run it on when im not on the go. i notice the ibook doesnt take hold of all the features (and some cosmetic) that OS 10.4.2 puts out (the ripple effect in the dashboard, other small stuff like that). other than that, its just all around a little bit faster and made out of aluminum instead of plastic. thats why i bought it.... it was cheaper for me cause i got a discount for my school, otherwise i would've gone for the ibook .... so yeah those are the differences ... you're the boss.

thanks general, that helped me out a lot... i didn't realize that one was plastic and the other aluminum... the size of the screen doesn't really bother me too much.. i guess it would be lighter anyway.

i'll have to see if i can get a discount with my school... i think my friend said he got his ipod nano for 20 bucks cheaper through his school..

would it be worth it to upgrade the RAM in the powerbook to 768? i don't think i need too much since it will be just for school work and the internet and what not.

DarkMassacre said:
How much of a discount do you get?

200 of the laptop and a 179 dollar rebate for my 20 gig coloUr iPod. (which was discounted to 269, i sold my ipod mini for 80, so i only paid 10 bucks plus tax for 269 for it :) )

no problem.

and yeah, when i put my school in, EVERYTHING apple was cheaper, i could've gotten OSX 10.4.2 for 69 instead of 129!i got discounts on my keyboard and mouse also, it was great, i wish i had more money to buy stuff.

.........they never even asked for proof that i went to that school ..... shhhhhhh!!!! :D

as for the memory, my 1 gig sodimm is on the way ... :)
ill have 1280megs, it just needed a little boost, sometimes it hangs when running photoshop and other apps. plus apps will load faster.

If I had more money. I'd go for powerbook. It's faster and I like it all silver colored and stuff. It's a good choice to buy. :)

where do I go to find out how much of a discount I can get? I dont even know how to inform apple that I am still in school while ordering off their site.

EDIT: Nvm I found the discount thing. Unfortunately my school aint in there.

14inch iBook and 12inch PowerBook are very similar albiet their size difference.

iBook Powerbook

Processor
1.42ghz 1.5ghz

FSB
142mhz 167mhz

L2 Cache
512k 512k

Built-in Mobo RAM
512mb 256mb

Maximum RAM
1.5gb 1.25gb

Video
ATI MOBILITY 9550 32mb NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 64mb

And each model has a plethora of BTO options.

The only real advantage to the 12" PowerBook is the GPU.

I suppose the big question would be, What do you plan on doing with it once you get it?

The iBooks larger screen makes it perfect for Digital editing among other things, however the PowerBook's slightly more powerful processor makes it a solid performer with media editing (iMovie, iDVD, etc.)

If music is your thing, you may consider the iBook with its speakers on the board facing up, rather than speakers placed on the back pointed away from you.

If you plan on gaming, then the PowerBook may best suit you, but you may end up being unhappy with the smaller screen whereas the iBook would solve any size problem.

And also, and this is extremely shallow, but if you want respect for the computer you use, you will want to follow the "bigger is better" rule and get the 14 inch iBook. Sitting in group of people hunched over a little 12inch computer looks funny compared to sitting back at your desk with a 14 inch computer.

Also consider practicality/useability. If you have large wrists/hands you would want the iBook with its larger area for wrist placement rather than risk potential injury with the PowerBooks lack of wrist space.

In the end, whichever you choose, You will end up spending more on the PowerBook than you would with the iBook.

12inch PowerBook with 768mb RAM 60gb HD (AppleCare)= $1,574 ($1,923)
14inch iBook with with 768mb RAM 60gb HD (AppleCare)= $1,374 ($1,623)

General BTO options...
12inch PowerBook with 1.25gb RAM 100gb HD (AppleCare)= $2,074 ($2,423)
14inch iBook with 1.5gb RAM 100gb HD (AppleCare)= $1,949 ($2,198)

Hope this helps :)

thanks, that is pretty helpful.

the only thing that is making me skeptical about getting a mac is the price... i don't know if i'm quite ready to spend that much...

And also, and this is extremely shallow, but if you want respect for the computer you use, you will want to follow the "bigger is better" rule and get the 14 inch iBook. Sitting in group of people hunched over a little 12inch computer looks funny compared to sitting back at your desk with a 14 inch computer.

That is one of the most ridiculous things that I have ever heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom