iBook or PC laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shauns330

Beta member
I'm going to be a college student soon and was wondering what type of laptop I should get. If I would get an Apple it would be the iBook 1.2 Ghz PowerPc G4 that costs $1000. I would definately upgrade to a 60gb h.d. and upgrade to 512mb RAM. My other option would be a PC laptop that would cost around $1150. Right now I have an Alienware PC desktop at 2.6 Ghz and thinking about making the switch to an apple laptop for college use. Software is not a problem for me the apple does all that I would need to use it for. I'm asking you all for your opinions on getting an Apple vs. PC laptop. Would I notice a slow down in speed b/c of the 1.2 Ghz compared to the 2.6 Ghz I use now as a desktop? If I'd get a PC laptop it would be at around 1.6 Ghz, is the difference that big to sway my decision or doesn't it really matter. Remember my budget is only around $1200 max. Your comments are appreciated, thanks.

I say go with the iBook. I have a 14" 1.2ghz w/1.25gb RAM and its wonderful. Its a good little gamer for the games I play (Halo, The Sims 2, UT2003, etc) and It's perfect for Photoshop or any Adobe program. And with the Apple, you also get more. Tiger comes with iLife '05 which gives you alot of software for not alot of money (i.e. GarageBand, iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, etc) whereas with the PC, you would have to order extra software separately. So, Go for the iBook I say! :D :D

ibook

i have an ibook g4 1.2 ghz, 512 mg of ram with a 60 gig hd running tiger. it runs so must faster then my pc. its great for gaming (ive got halo, wolfenstein, medal of honor, jedia knights:jedi acadamy, age of mythology, and a few others). adobe creative suite 2 runs magnificantly on it. even if youve never used mac before, os x is incredibaly easy 2 learn and use. i say go with the ibook.

A friend of mine has an ibook, it looks like a good laptop. It has a long battery life and is quick and stable and works well. However he runs it with other macs in his household. In your case it could be tricky learning curve and integrating with your pc.

Integrating with a PC using an iBook is not hard at all :confused: The learning curve is almost non-existant, and the iBook is a very reliable machine with a near 6 hour battery life on low performance. Also, since iBooks have the AirPort extreme card built in, on a college campus, you could probably get wireless just about anywhere with no hassle.

let me clear up a few things:

Mac_Mogul - WTF is your Avatar?????

Yes, its true that of late Mac os X had become easier and easier to network and integrate. But you still have to run different programs on a mac. And as easy as Os X is, its still a new os.

Just when I thought everyone had seen the numa numa dance.. LOL

Hrmm.. macdude, i'm gonna have to disagree with that. OS X is much newer than XP. XP is XP until Windows releases Longhorn (if that ever happens:rolleyes: ) OS X is brand new about once every year. First there was "Aqua", then "Cheeta" Then "Jaguar" then "Panther" ,now "Tiger" Its always evolving and improving... XP doesnt do that :confused: XP is XP, sadly... Yeah there's service packs and stuff, but not like the most current version of XP is any different than the first version of XP. You try to compare OS X 10.0 to 10.4 and there is absolutley no comparison. Tiger is a completely different OS than Aqua, even though they have the same name, "OS X"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom