iBook with Intel chips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a bad move at all. For years, customers paid extra for the Mac's build quality and software stability -- Now we can pay the same amount and get feature filled computers with more than twice the capabilities/speed/power as before, with the same kind of build quality and software reliability that the Mac has always had. Like I've said before, I'm absolutely amazed that the prices didn't go up

I totally agree. Now I just want them to support Windows XP so I can do some Windows only apps and games.

Qiranworms said:

Hehe, that's a good point I guess. But I seriously wouldn't be suprised if because of this and a few future transitions that we'd end up with these "alliances":

Microsoft+Nvidia+AMD

Apple+ATI+Intel

Seriously, Intel doesn't even seem to care about it's PC marketshare. And AMD seems to be taking control of the PC market, with it's cheaper, cooler, better performing and easier to OC CPU's. The only area of the market where Intel stays far ahead is Notebook CPU's, which is Apple's specialty (or so they say). ATI has always been loyal to Apple, always keeping their PC counterpart video cards up to date. Nvidia has always been lazy about it, and never seemed to really care about their video cards in Apple computers.

Brtnboarder495 said:
Seriously, Intel doesn't even seem to care about it's PC marketshare.
Are you kidding? Just because Apple may suit their idiology betters, or they now dislike Microsoft does NOT mean they suddenly just don't care about the main source of their profits. Believe me, they'd be pretty upset to lose their PC marketshare, Apple computers are still a niche, albeit a trendy and profitable one, and can't NEARLY replace the loss of much bigger customers like Dell.

And AMD seems to be taking control of the PC market, with it's cheaper, cooler, better performing and easier to OC CPU's.
AMD isn't taking control, Intel still dominates the market share. When Dell starts selling AMD machines, you can start to make these projections. For now, you're underestimating the influence of Intel merely because of whatever 'tension' may exist right now between them and Microsoft. Overclocking more easily only means something to a very small fraction of users.

I don't see your 'alliance' layout as being realistic at all...these things just aren't that simple.

That's true, they aren't as linear as they appear. There are always some interactions, but I think it's clear to see who prefers who in terms of partners.

It's clear that AMD has been aggressively gaining around 3-4% of the marketshare in the past few years though, and they entered the scene a good amount of time after Intel. That only means that Intel has gotta be loosing some of the marketshare, and it just gets better for AMD every year. I think people are now and will continue to get sick of the cheapness of Dell and fellw cheap PC companies. But if AMD joins with Dell as well, I would think that the market share would shift to ~ 40% and ~ 60% (estimates) respectively.

Nvidia and ATI ... I always see Nvidia's cards as the standard on most pre built PC's, with the exception of the X300 and X600 on Dell's site. Apple has always included ATI in it's designs and kept Nvidia as the back up plan it seems.

Obviously, Microsoft supplies the OS for PC's and little software for Mac's. Apple supplies the OS for Mac's and little software for PC's.

I suppose your right that I over exaggerated, but Intel definetly seems to be favoring Apple more than it's PC customers.

I suppose your right that I over exaggerated, but Intel definetly seems to be favoring Apple more than it's PC customers.
Only ideologically. And perhaps to use them to show off many of the new technologies Intel develops, since Apple tends to adopt new ideas much faster than anyone else. Case in point, the Intel-based Macs are using EFI. Otherwise, I'm quite sure Intel would rather lose Apple than Dell at the moment, because that's who's bringing in the profit. I don't think Intel is really at odds with the PC clone manufacturers at the moment; it seems to be more Microsoft.

Anyhow, on a totally unrelated topic, your signature image is too long vertically, the maximum image size is 468 by 120 pixels. If you don't replace it, it will be removed.

Ok, I have looked into this some more. What I have found is only rumors that Apple will be releasing them. When/if they do it won't be until mid 2006, I assume that would probably mean late summer or early fall.

I need a Mac, and I need to get rid of this clunky machine I have sitting here right now.

I don't play games anymore, but I will be using programs that I need for college. Those programs will center around architecture, art, and design as well as probably some math and obviously office.

If I gave an existing PPC G4 iBook 12'', 1 GB of RAM could I expect to be able to perform these tasks throughout college or at least most of it?

GameGURU said:
Ok, I have looked into this some more. What I have found is only rumors that Apple will be releasing them. When/if they do it won't be until mid 2006, I assume that would probably mean late summer or early fall.

I don't know...unlike with the MacBook Pro, there should be a steady supply of the CPUs they need to ship after announcement by then.

Appleinsider is reporting a June release...and they accurately predicted the fact that the Powerbook and the iMac would be the first Intel-based Macs released at Macworld. In other words, out of any rumour site, I think they're the ones most likely to reliable.

Point is, when is your purchasing deadline? I'd personally wait until June, but in reality, a G4 won't suddenly get slower when the faster Core Duo's get released, providing people keep making universal binaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom