ibook g3 (not clamshell) extenal antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

lone_ramone

Beta member
has anyone done this? i really want to wardrive with my ibook but the airport range could be better. umm so what kind of pig tail do i need and what is a good way to bring it out from under the key board and what is a good antenna. these are all very helpful to me and would be thankful if you helped

slone_ramone

Well first off the antenna assembly goes from the card, through the case and into the back of the LCD display. Unfortunately they dont make anything for extending the range of any Apple Airport cards, though they do make range extenders for base stations.

thats the way i wanted to bring the pigtail out, through the back. wouldnt you be able to hook up a better antenna to extend the range? i have a feeling the internal antenna on the ibooks isnt very powerful, seeing my friend on a pc wiht a oronico w/o a antenna was finding more access points then i was. also i hear that airport cards are just oronico cards but in a differnt shell. does this mean a pigtail for an oronico would work fine?

lone_ramone

lone_ramone said:
thats the way i wanted to bring the pigtail out, through the back. wouldnt you be able to hook up a better antenna to extend the range? i have a feeling the internal antenna on the ibooks isnt very powerful, seeing my friend on a pc wiht a oronico w/o a antenna was finding more access points then i was. also i hear that airport cards are just oronico cards but in a differnt shell. does this mean a pigtail for an oronico would work fine?

lone_ramone

If you want to void your warranty, go ahead and try. Of course the antenne for the card is already in use and goes up the screen. If you want a pigtail expect to make yourself a custom one and expect some nice case modding.

Id say dont do it.

im all ready off warranty. i was searching around and it seems i can just buy an airport pigtail. i will do it sometime, it shouldnt be to big of a case mod. just a little dremel work or something, not to bad at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom