How to share and edit files over the internet at realtime?

DouglasPotesta

Beta member
Hi I have a group project that I need to work on and it is a giant unity project. I have 8 group members, and rather than trying to import and export each others unity projects, I'd rather create one unity project on one computer and make the folder available for everyone to be able to use and edit from their own computers. We are using mac and windows computers. Unity files are cross compatible so thats fine.

So...
How do i make a server computer work over the internet (not a localnetwork)?

If it's some program i need, it needs to be cross compatible with mac and windows.

I don't want to clients to download the projects from the server, and then reupoload it.

I want the clients to be able to edit the project file that is located on the host server.

If you guys help me I will forever be grateful and will owe some peeps a lot of thanks.

Depending on the size of the files, you could just all use the same Dropbox or Google Drive account.

Depending on the size of the files, you could just all use the same Dropbox or Google Drive account.

the problem with dropbox or google drive, is everyone would have to redownload the folder (300mb +) every time theres an update. It wouldn't be a very efficient method. I want realtime editing abilities.

Thanks for your fast reply though. I really do appreciate it.

They wouldn't have to re-sync the entire folder unless the folder contains a single file; they'll only sync files that change.

Setup a VisualSVN server, and then either get the add-ons for implementing it in the file explorer, or see if your development environment has plugins to work with VisualSVN. Then add the useraccounts so they can access it, and then setup the repository.

Forward the ports it uses in your router...voila. You now have a code/resource repository running on your machine. I'd recommend setting this up on a machine you have "always on" and in 1 place with a stable connection.

I have one running on my home server, and it's nice for code projects.

That, or you could setup a BitBucket account, and set the repository to private.

^ Well, he said he didn't want to import / export the projects. This is the best solution though. Yay version control!

Something like BitTorrent Sync might work well though :tongue:

^ Well, he said he didn't want to import / export the projects. This is the best solution though. Yay version control!

Something like BitTorrent Sync might work well though :tongue:

You won't have to import or export projects or files with version control though...everything is still stored locally, and just requires pushes (or commits) and gets.

Each individual file will be synced to the server when commited, and then the newest version will be downloaded when they perform a Get.

If I'm understanding correctly that's what he wants to avoid :tongue:

I mean... Having the file open in multiple locations and synced through something like BTsync is going to cause huge file mismatch errors, OP

SVN is your best bet :tongue:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I'm understanding correctly that's what he wants to avoid :tongue:

I mean... Having the file open in multiple locations and synced through something like BTsync is going to cause huge file mismatch errors, OP

SVN is your best bet :tongue:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm confused...I was never suggesting BTSync lol. You were :p. I was suggesting SVN or another code repo like a Git service (BitBucket), which would avoid those mismatch/overwrite errors lol.

Back
Top Bottom