How to remove the DRM from iTunes music

Status
Not open for further replies.
moisiss said:
That wasn't meant as an insult... it was a simple observation. There is nothing wrong with being ignorant of things... you should just be aware that you are ignorant.

Don't even try to say that wasn't an insult. You ran out of stuff to argue with, because I shot you down with facts. You were left with nothing left to say other than the obligatory mis-used "you're ignorant" insult which still fails to insult me.

moisiss said:
Your "facts" are completely incorrect.... hence the "you are ignorant about the music industry" comment.

My " "facts" " are not incorrect, you are blinded with idiocy. (See, I can do it too.)

moisiss said:
Just the fact that you think it takes no longer than 2 weeks and $10,000 dollars to record an album shows how little you know.

I recorded my bands album in 2 weeks and $500 in microphones. All the software was free. If you want to download it for free, I will send you a link as I'm more about making music and not making money off of it. ;)

moisiss said:
This may be true for some "garage bands"... but for major artists on major labels it is not uncommon for bands to spend up to a year in the studio... racking up well over $10,000 in expenses.

A year in the studio and their music STILL sucks. Maybe if they could actually perform, instead of having to adjust pitch and speed phase for their lip synced vocals to actually sound like the music writer who isn't the singer intended for it to sound like.

moisiss said:
My information comes from personal experience and the books that I have read about the music industry... mainly this one...
http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/0743246373/ref=s9_asin_title_1/103-7893510-7951855

but I will have to wait until I get home to post quotes, page numbers, etc. because I didn't bring my copy to work with me.

Cool, your information comes from a book some crazy-lady like you wrote as a brain washing tool to get people to spend $1 per song on iTunes. AWESOME.

moisiss said:
Writing music takes time. Time = money. Therefore, Writing music takes money.

Wow, way to misinterpret "time=money" ... time=money when you are working, you make money with time. So to say that it takes money to use time is a completely backwards interpretation of that saying.

No, I didn't run out of arguments.... I just don't have the time to debunk all of your "facts" right now because I'm at work.

I would love to hear your music.... And if you've found a way to produce an album in 2 weeks for $500 that can come close to competing with a major label release.... you should start a label!! By the way, what did you play on that album.... all your instruments that cost $0? Oh yeah, and what did you record it on... a computer that cost $0? And your 2 weeks of time.... that's worth $0 to you? You should have more self value than that.

Post a link to the free music editing software.... Im' sure it is up to par with pro tools HD.

And as to another of your "facts".... Donald S. Passman is a MAN not a "crazy-lady"....
"Donald Passman is a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of the University of Texas and a *** laude graduate of Harvard Law School. He lives in Los Angeles with his wife and four children, and practices law with the firm of Gang, Tyre, Ramer & Brown. He has specialized intensively in the music business for more than twenty years. His clients include major entertainment publishers, record companies, songwriters, industry executives, film companies, managers, producers, and other participants in the music industry."

moisiss said:
No, I didn't run out of arguments.... I just don't have the time to debunk all of your "facts" right now because I'm at work.

I would love to hear your music.... And if you've found a way to produce an album in 2 weeks for $500 that can come close to competing with a major label release.... you should start a label!!

You can find our album in this thread:

http://techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=116993&highlight=ardour
EDIT: I guess it's not on the server anymore, I'll upload it again and post back later.

moisiss said:
By the way, what did you play on that album....

Guitar

moisiss said:
all your instruments that cost $0?

I had them anyway, otherwise I wouldn't have been a musician recording an album.

moisiss said:
Oh yeah, and what did you record it on... a computer that cost $0?

No, the computer that I had anyway.

moisiss said:
And your 2 weeks of time.... that's worth $0 to you?

We did it on our spare time, after work, etc.

moisiss said:
You should have more self value than that.

What? I rock, haven't I told you?

moisiss said:
Post a link to the free music editing software.... Im' sure it is up to par with pro tools HD.

http://ardour.org/
http://debian.org/
http://audacity.sf.net/

moisiss said:
Blah blah blah

Cool.

Oh man this thread is freaking hilarious. Time for my 2 cents.

Although i agree that producing an album might cost more than what the general is saying, i also have to say that artists need to be aware of what kind of situation they're getting into when they sign a record contract. Alot of people just get so excited and sign on the dotted line without reading any of the fine print. For those people i feel no remorse. I also agree that if an artist really wants to make some money he should tour and sell merch at his shows. The only time i ever buy cds is at a show/venue. That way im sure 100% of the money goes to the artist, not some fat cat getting rich while sitting on his ***. I will never stop stealing music. The recording industry needs to learn how to change and adapt, if not, they will fail. I personally dont care, seeing how corrupt and retarded the industry is. I would much rather support an artist than a record industry suit.

bobojuice:

The only way an artist gets 100% of the money from a CD sale is if they put up all of the money up front to record the CD... I.E. they have no label or they own their own label. Otherwise, they get a percentage (after the initial investment has been fully recouped by the label or investor of course) no matter where you buy it.

So I listened to the first 5 songs off of the link you posted. I think it sounds really good. Do I think it sounds as good a Major Label release... I'm sorry, but no. That is saying nothing about the musicality or content of the song.... like I said earlier, I like it. What I am talking about is the sound of the recording itself. It sounds like a good demo to me, but not comparable to a Major Label release. Maybe everything doesn't need to be held up to that standard... it's a small amount of difference, but to me it does exist.

In reviewing the thread, I thought I had made myself clear in that I am talking about artists with Major Label deals... maybe I was not as clear as I thought though. Here are a couple of links talking about how many bands recoup their initial advance:

From the definition of Recoupment offered by About: musicians exchange...

http://musicians.about.com/library/glossary/R/bldef-recoupment.htm

notably this, "Even in major label deals, the costs of album production and management rapidly consume the advance, often leaving the artist with little extra to spend. If album sales fail to earn back the money, the artist is often dropped from the label and forgotten. Fewer than 10% of signed artists recoup their advance and become financially successful."

And from the Wall Street Journal....

http://blog.mattgoyer.com/stories/2...StrikeAChordDespiteTheMillionsSpentByMCA.html

notably this, "Of the thousands of albums released in the U.S. each year by the five major record companies, fewer than 5% become profitable, music executives say." from the lower link.

but that figure is from record executives.... can't trust them, so additionally from the Wall Street journal, "As a result, industry executives estimate that major-label releases must on average sell about 500,000 copies just to break even. Last year, of the 6,455 new albums distributed in the U.S. by major labels, only 112 have sold at least that many, according to SoundScan, which monitors music sales. Overall music sales were down 5% last year -- the steepest decline in a decade."

So about 1.7% recouped the initial investment. I would doubt if it gets much better for Indie labels....

Also in the Wall Street Journal article is a relative total of how much a typical first album costs "The total tab, including studio time, musicians' salaries, producers' fees and Ms. Hennessy's living expenses, was about $350,000 -- typical for a first pop record, MCA says."

So no, I am not "insane" to think that it can cost well over $10,000 to record an album. You can go out and spend a few thousand dollars (or less) on an album... but there are things that you cannot reproduce on a cheap budget.... namely experience and equipment. Granted, this is (and has been) changing drastically since the cost of recording gear has dropped so there are a lot more people doing the home studio thing (including myself). But do I believe that I can record, mix, and master an album (from a technical aspect) as well as or better than engineers or producers who have been doing it everyday for years and that have access to equipment I can't afford?... no.

I agree that there are a lot of other way for musicians to make money... but that also costs more money, but you make it sound like it would be easy to get 10,000 people to pay $25 dollars a head to see a band. How much money has to go into promoting that band before they will see anything close to those numbers? How much do the promoters take? How much does it cost everyone to get down the road? How much for the buses, a place to stay, gas, food? How much to hire to crew to work the show?

For an independent artist trying to make it work without support... it's even more difficult. Most of the people that I know who are signed to independent labels say that they basically break even at the end of a tour.

Your friends who make $1,500 a night playing, how often are they able to get 300 people (at $5 a head) to show up? Once, twice a month? Sure they are making about $375 a night... that would be great if it was like 3-4 times a week around town... but it is probably more like 2 times a month at the most.... unless they go out on the road... which costs more money.

The point of all of this... the broad picture if you will... is that it is very difficult for musicians to make a living and regardless of how you feel about labels, or the "biz" or what ever. You should support any and all artists that you want to see stick around... and that means paying for the music that they have put so much on the line to make.

I didn't feel like reading all that.

I don't care about major record labels, or their bands. So they can go out of business for all I care.

There, that should kill anything you had to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom